SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tarzy_gw

Any Opinions on Adding AC in Los Angeles?

tarzy
13 years ago

We have everything in place for AC - just need to add the actual condenser. (Couldn't afford to do it until now.) It's a typical Los Angeles house - 1600 sq. ft, built in 1925 (but with updating.)

The company that installed the furnace 8 yrs ago is Econo Air - one of those fairly big companies that sends out a salesman who gives you an estimate, then the workers come and do the work. We've had no issues or problems with the furnace they installed, which is a Lennox.

Got an estimate yesterday to add AC. The sales guy suggested a Lennox XC13-42, 3.5 ton, 13 SEER. I looked it up and it's their mid-tier "elite" series. Total quote was $4,000 - BUT we have to do it by June 15th, because "that's when the super busy season starts, but I can fit you in this week..."

I know he was giving me a big sales pitch, and I didn't like it. However, I know they're a reputable company, do good work, etc. We have them come every year to clean the filter and have never had an issue with them.

I also called a local company, and got a quote for a 4 ton Trane T4TTB404BE1000A, 14 SEER. I looked this one up and it's the basic bottom tier product. He said we needed a TXV valve (which the other guy didn't mention). Total quote was $4,500.

Both guys said it's a very straightforward install.

I'm getting one more estimate today from another independent HVAV company.

How on earth do you make a decision when all the variables are so different? I know both brands are good. I don't know much about the local company, other than they got a few good reviews on Yelp. Econo Air is big, but efficient.

I don't really like Econo Air rushing me to decide by next week, but it does seem like a decent price for a decent product. It it likely he's really giving me a "deal," or is it just a sales rap?

Any suggestions? Things I should consider? I'll have one more quote later today to add to my confusion!

Comments (3)