SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mjsee_gw

Radiant Heat as a retro-fit...good idea? Bad idea?

mjsee
15 years ago

My sister and her husband just moved into a 1952 Eichler in Palo Alto. They purchased it from, I believe, the estate of the original owner. From the pictures I've seen...it certainly appears to be "original." Interestingly, this early Eichler has baseboard heat. Unfortunately, it also has no A/C--and Palo is having a serious heatwave.

They are in touch with a builder and an architect...but I am wondering if they are getting the best advice. The builder is talking about adding A/C and forced air heat...with all ceiling ducts. (One assumes this is because of the post-and-beam construction of the home.) I get why ceiling ducts for A/C would be great...cold air falls...but seems like a BAD idea for heat. They are planning on re-flooring most of the house. These are my questions:

1)Wouldn't adding radiant heat be a better choice than ceiling ducts?

2)Can radiant heat be done on a room-by-room basis? Or would they need to move out?

3)If they needed to move out...could the A/C be done now, and the heat added later?

4) Does it make more sense to put in newer, more efficient electric baseboard heat? One assumes it would be more efficient...but perhaps baseboards from the 1950's (or perhaps 70's) are as efficient as current baseboards. This is not their "forever" home...they will probably be in this home 3-5 years.

Thanks for your time. I DID try to do a search before I posted...but came up with very little.

melanie

Comments (4)