SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Hourly rates for decorating/consulting, and how to increase...

Sueb20
10 years ago

A little background. About 10 years ago, with 3 young kids at home and starting to think about what "going back to work" would look like for me after about 7 years at home, I went back to school in a certificate program in Decorative Arts at an art school in Boston. I took 1-2 classes at a time for about 3 years. Halfway through, friends started asking me to consult on their decorating projects, then friends of friends...and as a student, I charged $25/hour. By the time I was done taking classes, I had a little part-time gig working for myself, which worked out great because I could make my own hours and take summers off. I soon increased my rate a bit, to $40. After a few more years, I raised it again, but not by a whole lot.

In the past 7 or so years, I've been working VERY part time. As a *decorator* -- I never call myself an interior designer because I do not have the credentials. I often refer to myself as a consultant. I do a lot of work w/ helping clients choose paint colors, figure out floor/furniture plans, choose materials like tile and fabrics, and help navigate the furniture stores (with varying degrees of hand holding). All of my business is word of mouth, except for the 2 hours I donate to a town/school fundraiser each year -- which almost always leads to more (paid) hours from the "winner" and often a referral to a friend or two.

Clients seem to like me because I am very approachable, casual but professional and organized, AND I focus my whole approach on helping people save money. We/they shop at regular retail stores. I have a seamstress who does window treatments quite reasonably. I can direct them to local sales, online sites, etc., in an effort to find items for less. I have a LOT of repeat business. Since August, I have been crazy busy...after years of working from 1-10 hours a week, very sporadically (which was fine with me because I have busy kids and I also like my down time), I am now juggling 7-8 projects. I now have a couple of realtors in town who know me and have sent a couple of referrals my way, too.

Another reason why people like to hire me, though, is because my hourly rate is so low. I started to realize how low when reading the discussion in sjhockeyfan's thread about her experience w/ a decorator. $200 an hour? OMG. I don't charge $25 any more, but my rate is still very, very reasonable. I have always thought it didn't make sense to me to charge a high rate when my whole schtick is about saving people money. However...I do think it is time to raise my rate, probably as of January 1.

The last time I did this, I only had a few "active" clients and I sent them an email probably 2 months in advance of the rate change, so if they wanted to, they could still get me for the lower rate if they wanted to schedule before the increase.

This time, more people know me, know about my business, and/or are involved in projects with me.

What is the graceful way to announce a rate increase?
And what is the appropriate amount to increase an hourly rate?

I feel like I should handle the rate increase differently w/ existing "active" clients than w/ others. Just not sure exactly how. Maybe tell them they have an extra 3 or 6 months at the lower rate, or something? (Like: my rate increase is effective on Jan. 1, but for existing clients, it's effective April 1.)

Any guidance would be appreciated! Thanks.

Comments (11)