SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phedre_gw

Oil to Gas: conversion burner or new gas boiler?

phedre
15 years ago

Dear forumites,

I live in a condo (one of 3 units in an old house) in the Northeast. We currently have steam heat using oil. We have one tank and one boiler, for the whole house, which is probably 10 years old and in decent shape. The units share the cost of the heat. We're considering changing to gas because of high oil prices, environmental concerns, and U.S. oil-dependency concerns. We can get a new high efficiency gas boiler from our gas company for $799 (or a less efficient for $499). We had an installation contractor come out and he said it would make more sense (cost wise) to stick with one boiler for all 3 units rather than install separate boilers for each unit. He gave a very rough estimate of around $5,000 for the conversion, including the cost of a $799 boiler (I should mention we have a gas line to the house and run our hot water heaters and our stoves on gas.) He also said, given the age of the boiler, that we could put in a conversion burner which would be cheaper but since he doesn't do those he didn't offer any more information.

My question is this: should we just add a conversion burner or should we replace the boiler? I understand that using a conversion burner will result in a loss of efficiency but is it safe to do so? It seems to me that the boiler was made to work with oil. We're interested in not just spending less on fuel this winter but also in being environmentally responsible. Is an oil boiler with a gas conversion burner likely to emit more pollution? Thanks for any advice!

Comment