SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whosonfirst_gw

York vs Lennox - Is Lennox overpriced?

whosonfirst
13 years ago

Looking to replace 24 year old AC and Furnace and take advantage of the tax and utility company credits. Live in Midwest, close to Kansas City. Approximate sq footage 2,800. Have had 4 different quotes most Lennox or Trane. Today I received a completely different quote from someone who I thought was knowledgeable and a straight shooter. He's the owner of the company, not a sales rep. He installs Lennox, Trane, Carrier, York, etc.

He suggested the following 3.5 ton system for $5,497 before rebates and tax credits:

Furnace: York TM9X100C16 series 100,000 BTU (LX Series)

AC: York: YCJF42 3 1/2 Ton (LX Series)

1. Is this York unit a quality unit that will last or should I be looking for something else? I've heard very little about York in this area. He mentioned that it is comparable or better to the newer Trane and Lennox models with a great 10 year warranty on everything as compared to the others offering one or two years on labor. He sold almost exclusively Lennox and Trane until recently but believes they've outpriced themselves.

2. He mentioned York seems to have gotten it right with the tax credits, lining up well with the specs needed for the credits without overkill.

3. Heat Pump - Touchy subject in this forum but he said that wasn't a sure thing in this area of country. Some think a little too cold here and they will blow a more constant cooler air which many of his customers aren't as comfortable with. Also since now running 9 months instead of two they wear down and need replacement sooner than regular AC.

4. Others recommended I move from current 3.5 ton to 4.0 ton however, he said this would be a waste of money since ducts wouldn't support a bigger unit. Mentioned it would actually be less efficient and cool faster, turning off the system quicker so actually making house (upstairs) more unfomfortable.

Contractor has been around awhile and was knowledgeable. He mentioned he would install any system I want. Surprised he talked me out of the more expensive options including larger unit, heat pump, etc. His quote is $2,000 less than all the others for Trane and Lennox with heat pump.

I appreciate the comments.

Comments (6)