SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nob_hill

Fine-tuning a new xl16i & XV80 zoned installation

13 years ago

I have learned so much from this forum! Thanks to everyone who has answered questions.

BACKGROUND: I am in Houston and have a 5 ton XL16i linked to an XV80 through a 24V harness, TrueZONE controller and 2 VisionPro TH8321 thermostats (and a CleanEffects). I am trying to setup the system close to optimum energy savings, but I want to reduce humidity as much as possible.

QUESTION: Is my current setup (detailed below) reasonable - or have I lost my mind?

HISTORY: This install was done well except for the final setup which has confused the heck out of everyone. I have a central unzoned area shared with a front zone and a rear zone in a 2800 sq ft home. Much ducting was replaced when the old 3 ton + 2.5 ton separate units were replaced. Two air returns (14") were added with 14 x 20 registers in addition to the 24 x 24 register that also feeds up a wall into a 14" return. Air flow does dose not appear to be a problem, nor does noise. The XV80 is finally wired correctly for the xl16i for 80% & 100% air flow. Comfort-R is enabled and functioning.

DETAILS: I first got OK results with the XV80 set for 5 tons with 350 cfm/ton (=1750 nominal). The DAT sensor showed temps around 55 degrees except when the fan went to 100%, and the DAT showed temps in the low 60's. The unit runs in Stage 1 all the time with outside temps in the low 90's. I am guessing that Stage 2 will not ever be called unless the outside temps rise. This setup controlled temperature, but could not get the humidity lower than 55% at best with -3 degrees over-cooling for an inside temp set at 74 degrees and always over-cooled to 71.

I have since lowered the XV80 to show a 4 ton unit running at 400 cfm/ton (=1600 cfm nominal). With this setting and a temp setting one degree higher at 75 degrees (over-cooled to 72 or sometimes 73), I am seeing humidity levels in the high 40's & low 50's - which is what I was after. My wife loves it.

Is this a reasonable way to run this setup? For comfort as #1 and efficiency a close #2? BTW, the thermostats control the cooling staging and are setup as 3 cycles per hour for both stage 1 & 2.

The system can move a lot more air with no problem, but is the current setup a good compromise?

Thanks for any information.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES