SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cleo26

Questions about Setup of and Detergents for New Washer and Dryer

cleo26
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have been reading through the messages on this forum for a few months gaining valuable information. I recently purchased the new Whirlpool front-loader washer and dryer set with steam -- yep, the Aspen green color -- and am about to embark on tasks in preparation of their arrival. I have a number of questions about the washer and dryer setup and use that i was hoping could be answered in one location. (I haven't been very successful with the search tool.)

1) Installation - proper setup

I want to limit the potential for vibration of the washer and dryer. My units will be on the second level on tiled flooring. I've read that the machines must be properly leveled and feet locked. I also read about shipping bolts, but i'm not sure what this means.

Advice on what to check for during installation? Is this something I could read about in the manual?

2) Dryer Venting - Semi rigid or rigid?

I've read that the duct for dryer venting should be of the aluminum rigid variety. I currently have the coil type. Is semi-rigid ducting also acceptable?

3) Detergent - Recommended brands and how much?

How much HE powder detergent should be used? I've read from half a cup to tablespoon depending on the brand. Also, seems Affresh would be something to invest in.

Any recommendations on detergent? Has anyone had success with Persil? What about Tide HE or SA8 with Bioquest?

Is OxiClean a necessity with each wash?

4) Fabric Softener

After reading about the efficiency of FL washers, are liquid fabric softeners to be avoided? Is the alternative white vinegar?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

C

Comments (4)