SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
softball_80

Seeing old family vhs tapes while converting to dvd

softball_80
14 years ago

As I mentioned in a previous post, I got a device for Christmas that connects a VCR to my PC. I have dug out the old VHS tapes dating back to 1983 and have been spending nearly every waking hour loading them up, in preparation to burning DVDs. You have to load them in real time, meaning they play on the PC screen and you can't fast forward. It sure is a lot of fun seeing them again.

I learned a lot about being a cinematographer while using that first video camera. For instance, 45 minutes of DW opening gifts for an 11 month old is BORING, even for us! I eventually learned that 'less is more'; even after we had three kids, 10 minutes is plenty. The look in their eyes as they come flying down the stairs each 12/25 is heartwarming, although a lot less so in their teens. Their preshool, kindergarten, grammar and HS graduations are all on there too. I have tapes of my Mom, my Aunt Mary (godmother) and my father-in-law, all gone now. Also my Dad, still around physically, but in a nursing home. These tapes are irreplaceable.

You have two options; you can hit one button and the VHS goes right on the DVD 'warts and all' but I have a number of instances where someone missed the 'off' button and there is a ten minute tape of the floor. Because of this and the odd quote that is, shall we say, 'best forgotten', I am using option #2, editing out the unwanted bits and keeping the gold. I'm nearly done the primary tapes, which are activities that we were all involved in. There are also individual tapes of each childs birthdays, et al that involve that child primarily.

Some of the quotes the kids came up with are hillarious, maybe because they're MY kids. Case in point: New Year's Eve 1994, we are in the car driving around looking at people's Christmas displays. DD#3, age 8, pipes up with, "I told Mommy hey Mom, soon you'll be hitting the big 5 - 0, so, on a commercial, it said you can get life insurance when you're over 50." Followed by DD#1 (10) 'Yeah, and you can get a home equity loan!'

TV has too much influence!

I hope that you'll think about doing this yourself, or having it done. Those tapes can't last forever; two of mine barely made it through the process.

Comments (17)