SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pammyfay

ideas for organizing VHS tapes?

pammyfay
14 years ago

I have a lot of VHS movies that are still good and I want to keep; there's no sense in getting rid of them and buying DVDs for the ones I really love (well, at least not for a while, yet!).

Right now, they're stored in my finished basement room (with a TV, sofabed, bookcase, lighting) in 2 black Ikea-like closed-door waist-high cabinets (which look like the Billy bookcases but with doors).

I think I want to get rid of these cabinets--too much black in the basement--and put the videos instead on my tall Intermetro chrome shelving unit, the wire-shelf type, because I recently got rid of a number of books and magazines and there is space on the shelves, and I'd rather keep that than the cabinets.

I can adjust the shelves on the Intermetro shelving piece, but the shelves are kind of deep, so even tho I haven't measured this for sure, I'm pretty certain that 3 "layers" of tapes could fit on a single shelf.

Of course, then you wouldn't be able to see the titles behind the first line of videos.

Any clever (and cheap!) ideas for a way to store these on the shelves and still see the titles? Ikea used to sell plastic risers, I think, but I haven't seen them in stores recently.

Here is a link that might be useful: Intermetro shelving piece (but mine's silver)

Comments (8)