SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westfield_gw

Carrier v Goodman

westfield
14 years ago

I have narrowed things down to 2 systems. It was 84 and humid in the house last night so a decision has to be made. Background. 2200 sf 2 story house in Indianapolis on full crawl so downdraft installation. Summers are humid, generally in the 80's but always some days in the upper 90's. Winters always have some days in single digits and less, but generally in the 20's and 30's. Electric rates approx $.11 KwH. Gas approx $1.30 therm.

System 1. Carrier Infinity 80 (80% AFUE) furnace w/ variable speed blower, Carrier Infinity 19 heat pump (19 SEER) 3 ton, qualifies for tax credit. Infinity thermostat. Honeywell media filter and humidifier. 15 year parts and labor on everything except the heat ex which is 20 year parts (and included in the 15 year labor.) 10 years of the parts (20 for the heat ex) is from Carrier, all labor and the additional 5 years on parts is from the dealer contingent on maintaining a service agreement each year. Proposal includes 2 years "free." Final cost net of all rebates and tax credits, $6922.

System 2. Goodman GMV80 (80% AFUE) furnace w/ multi-speed (4) blower, Goodman SSZ14 heat pump (14 SEER) 3 ton. Honeywell VisionPro 8000 thermostat (no IAQ), Honeywell humidifier. Lifetime parts warranty on heat ex and compressor. 10 year parts and labor on everything else, supposedly parts and labor both on Goodman. That's not entirely clear. System does not qualify for tax credit. Final cost net of rebates, $5142.

Both furnaces are supposed to be 90,000 btu, although neither proposal currently says that. Current furnace is 75,000 btu, 80%, 23 years old. No parts numbers for coils or air handlers are indicated, all I know is they are manufacturer ones and the Carrier one gets the numbers needed for the credit. My own analysis indicates annual heating and cooling costs of approx. $1700/year at current rates. No one did a Manual J, but the systems seem reasonable based on current comfort levels.

Both companies are highly rated in the area. The Carrier one has been around for 40 years, the Goodman one 2 years. I would be comfortable w/ either doing the installation. It's interesting to me that Goodman has the better warranties, even though they are generally regarded as a lesser brand. Seems to me that the determination is how quickly will the more efficient Carrier HP make up for the $1800 price difference, along with other intangibles and things like the variable speed fan. I'm guessing the Carrier will result in around $220/year less utility costs. If true, an 8 year payback. Over 15 years, $1500 less for Carrier, not including the maintenance agreement costs. No current plans to move. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments (8)