SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginny20

thermo pride vs rheem vs amana vs goodman vs carrier

ginny20
12 years ago

We need to switch from our 12-year-old Thermo Pride oil furnace to a gas furnace. We received quotes from 3 established, reputable HVAC companies, including our current oil provider, who has always provided very good, prompt service.

Vendor A offered only a Rheem.

Vendor B said that he had replaced relatively new Rheems for people who found them too noisy, and he offered Goodman, Amana or Carrier.

Vendor C (current oil provider, who also installed the current thermo pride) offered a Rheem for less than Vendor A, and he is also giving us a quote on a Thermo Pride.

I asked him about Thermo Pride because all three guys, when they saw our oil furnace, told us what a great furnace it is. Are their gas furnaces as good as their oil furnaces?

The quotes for the furnaces are all within a few hundred dollars of each other. One benefit of going with our current provider is that as part of the deal, they will remove the oil tank and give us some credit for the oil in it. With the others, we need to get another firm to remove the tank, and no oil credit. Tank removal could vary from $200 to $400.

So I'm leaning towards the Thermo Pride. But admittedly, I know pretty much nothing about furnace brands except what the three guys have told us. Amana, or was it Goodman?, did have a great warranty on parts and labor.

Also, if it matters to your advice, we will not be getting a heat pump. It's upstate NY, it gets really cold (I had to laugh when I read a thread from someone in Seattle who said that it "often got very cold there, down to the 30's at night"), and electricity here is really expensive.

Any thoughts, HVAC gurus?

Oh, and yes, I now know that if we had done this 8 months ago, we could have gotten a huge tax credit. Please don't rub it in.

Thanks!

Comments (10)