SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Critique my kitchen ventilation plan?

Stacey Collins
14 years ago

We installed our Thermador range hood a few days ago and are very unhappy with the noise level, so we're looking for the least expensive remedy, and have come up with a plan we hope will work. Care to comment?

(Current hood is wall-mounted with integral dual-blower 600 CFM Thermador blower. Centrifugal, I believe. It's a discontinued model we got a great deal on. Maybe they changed the design because it's so darned LOUD!!! The service guy came this morning because we were convinced there was something wrong with the motor... he added a little foam insulation between the blower and rough-in-plate, and that helped a bit- but says now it is at its normal noisiness. I still feel like it's so loud I won;t use it when I should....)

Here's the plan:

---Leave the current blower in place to use when extra power is needed (the service man suggested this. I wonder if it won't cause more noise by adding airflow resistance, though...)

---Add a S&P remote in-line blower, like this one:

{{gwi:1571749}}
with it's own control switch.

We hope to be able to use as much of the current (brand new) installation as possible, which is:

Thermador hood with blower, exits out the back via a Thermador transition piece to 8" round duct. One 90 degree elbow then 5 feet of rigid duct straight up to roof jack.

Do you think that would lessen the noise considerably of do we need to spend another $100+ on a section of duct silencer as well?

Is it OK to leave the existing Thermador blower in place? It's 600 cfm, which is what our range specs require. The S&P remote blower is only 508cfm so I am hoping I can leve it and use the Thermador as backup when stir-frying, etc.

We are totally out of money on this renovation and hoping for the least expensive fix. Looks like I can get the S&P fan for about $225.....

Comments (4)