SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schutzhund_gw

whirlpool wtw6400s vs wtw6700t vs wtw6200v

schutzhund
15 years ago

Well, my choices have been narrowed down. I want the ability to have water in my machine and cannot abide these low water units. I passed on the Bravos units even though folks here really love them, as they are Tier III with 70% water reduction.

If you have one of these units, would you please advise:

a) How much water is in the tub while it is cleaning?

b) How much water is in the tub while it is rinsing?

c) Can you have it rinse in a full tub of water and then when it spins out have it also shower the clothes with fresh clean water for additional soap removal?

d) Does it continuously or sporadically pour water over the clothes while washing?

e) Does it remove pet hair and flush it away or does it leave it stuck to the clothes and depend upon the dryer to remove?

f) Any other pertinent water usage performance comments?

g) How is the wrinkle/tangle issue? Do you have a specific way to load the unit to avoid these problems since the two HE units are impeller and not agitator units?

If I stick with the HE type machines, these are my two finalists:

Whirlpool WTW6400S (Front runner in choices):

Pros: 4.5 cf, only saves 44% water, large cavernous capacity

Cons: HE with its related water reduction, mixed reviews, F51 error code issue, I read it tangles clothes real badly. Have these things been fixed (I read the earlier models were the ones with the problems)?

Whirlpool WTW6700T (Second choice):

Pros: 4.6 cf, large cavernous capacity

Cons: saves 52% water, I read it tangles clothes real badly. Has this been fixed?

Whirlpool WTW6200VW:

Non-HE choice would be this one. It has an agitator (unlike above two choices).

Pros: I get to control the water level, tried and true traditional agitator type machine, $300 cheaper.

Cons: Not as large as I would like (3.8 cf), but still larger than what I had (3.3 cf).

Conclusions:

I am so torn... husband with his wisdom says I should stick with the tried and true, albeit smaller, 3.8 cf model, especially in light the the LG 0642 fiasco we are in right now. Neither of us trusts the water reduction machines.

Then there is also the possibility of waiting until late February when the new GE TL 4.1 cf model WPRE6150KWT comes out. That unit lets you manually control the water level. I am also afraid that they seamed the drum the same as the other models - it has a gap in the stainless steel seam that small, thin things could get stuck in. Plus, being a new model, you do not know how well it will perform or last.

Ohhhhhh, what a pain!

Here is a link that might be useful: GE model WPRE6150KWT info

Comments (15)

• mtrot
    15 years ago

Sounds like you are going through the same thought process I am. I'm really leaning toward the Whirlpool 6200 or the Kenmore Elite version of the same machine. I also noticed the GE 4.1 cf models, and I think they have an 8150KWT which is higher up in their line. But folks here don't seem to have much good to say about GE washers.

• schutzhund
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I broke down tonight and bit the bullet once again. Lowes wanted $998 less a 10% off coupon I have (net to $900) for the 6400 model. Husband suggested we go check out RC Willey since they would not negotiate any further discount, and they had the 6400 on sale for $725 less a courtesy disco of $25, making it $700 with free delivery (we already had membership). It also came with a free set of Ginsu cutting knives -- guess that is why I bought it ;).

So, tomorrow Fry's is coming to collect the LG unit and on Wednesday RC Willey is delivering this one.

I really hope this unit works for me. RC Willey has a 14 day written satisfaction policy that I hope I do not have to use.

mtrot, if you have an RC Willey near you, have a look as they have the 6200 in stock and on sale. It was around $650 - $700 I believe vs the $998 that Lowes wants.

I will report back on what I think of this unit. Keeping my eyes, finger and toes crossed!

Schutzhund

• thellmer
    15 years ago

I have had nothing but nightmares with my wtw6400sw1. I wasn't bothered by the tangling, but I cannot truly say I have ever washed more than 10 loads that did not go off balance in the 2 years I have had this washer. It got to where I would not leave the house after putting on a load because it could never spin the load dry without going off balance and giving the UL error. It now will not even spin the empty drum with nothing it it without going off balance, so possibly I had a dud all along that just kept getting worse. Hopefully you won't run into that problem. Also, after opening the top I would say there is less than 4 square inches of white paint left- the rest is flaked rust growths. Not your surface orangish rusty stuff, but Detroit salty roads on your car's fender rust. One spot will be rusted through to the porcelain any time - its so thin it flexes. So all I can say is buy the extended warranty!

• schutzhund
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thellmer, wow, what an experience! I, too, hope that yours is just a dud. What did the service people say when you complained?

When you say most of the paint is missing, are you talking about the inside, bottom part of the metal lid? That's the only part I can think of, as the drum is SS and I do not remember seeing paint anywhere else inside the unit except the metal of the lid.

Can you post picts of this?

Schutzhund

• kristij
    15 years ago

I'm glad I read this because I didn't realize you could control the water level on the 6200. I have been trying to figure that out (because I can't find one on display). I'm buying from our distributor and they aren't close to us so I can't just hop in the car to get there! I had the 6400 and they are coming to get it Friday and I am getting the 6200. FIngers crossed! :)
    Kristi

• thellmer
    15 years ago

Here is a link to the pictures. The rust is all underneath the top. You only see it if you open the top and look underneath. Mine also runs all over the inside of the back panel. If you defeat the lid lock (not recommended) and watch the load, once this thing fills with water, the whole drum assembly falls down about 5=6" below the top of the lid area and about that far from the dispensers. As the bleach dispenser fills, fabric softener, recirculation shower, etc are running water splashes all over the inside of this thing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28286954@N06/?saved=1

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of the rust

• schutzhund
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow! That is totally unacceptable rusting!! I just re-read the warranty (I have read so many over the last several days that I can no longer keep them all straight), and am surprised that it is so short compared to other units. One year. Period. That's all, folks!

You did not happen to purchase it with an American Express card, did you? I ask, because not everyone knows that AE doubles the manufacturer's warranty for free, in which case, you would still be under warranty.

Well, if I keep this unit, I will definitely keep a sharp eye on this as it gets closer to the 1 year period, and if I still have this unit, the 2 year period when the AE warranty extension runs out.

Mine is the W3 vs your W1. Perhaps they corrected your issues. I am only on my second load so far. The first was a king sized comforter that it did a great job on. This load is the linens that I used to have to split into two loads with my old unit. It just finished, and everything is far less twisted than with my old agitator unit. So far, no unbalance situation, and so far, so good.

Would you mind telling me how you defeated the lid lock? I tried putting my magnets on top of the switch, but it did not work. The latch came out and did not stay out. When I held the latch with the magnets still on top, this did not work either.

Kristi, below is a link to the 6200's manual. Look at the picture on page 12 and you will see a Load Size selection option offering Small, Medium, Large, Super and Auto, so that is to me how you select the water level. You might want to read through the manual and make sure you are happy with the other features it has or perhaps does not have.

Best of luck to you!

Here is a link that might be useful: 6200 Manual - See page 12

• thellmer
    15 years ago

You put the magnets to the left of the lock mechanism, then when it comes out have your finger ready to push it back half way in and hold it a second until it clicks into place. You have to leave the magnets stuck in place as well and if you were to remove them it stops immediately. No AE. 1 year then youre out $800 bucks. I have a LG set now that I use.

• kristij
    15 years ago

Schutzhund THANK YOU for the manual! I'm on my dinosaur computer and was looking for it the other night and got bumped off. I just looked through most of it and I'm excited to get it! I think the 6400 is a wonderful machine, just not for me at this stage of my life. Maybe when the kids are a little older! :)

• dixiedarlin10
    15 years ago

Thellmer, you ought to send those pictures or a link to this blog to Whirlpool. They should address your valid complaint.

• lulundave
    15 years ago

kristij,
    I think you will be pleased with your 6200. I have had mine for nearly 2 years and it is great. Washes BIG loads nicely.

I am worried though about that rust issue. Can you only see the rust if you open up the top of the machine? Can you see it when you shine a flashlight in and look around the top of the machine?

• schutzhund
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thellmer, thanks for the trick with the latch info. That did the trick and allowed me to watch the unit functioning.

Kristi, I'm glad the link helped you. Hopefully you will be quite happy with your unit.

Update on purchase choice - I am returning the 6400, as I was not happy with the way it did not actually turn the clothes. What was on top, stayed on top. More info is posted under the subject of "Largest TL non HE User Selectable Water Level?". That makes strike 2 for me in machines.

I am going to start a new thread with the model number I purchased tonight.....

Schutzhund

• thellmer
    15 years ago

lulundave, I first noticed the rust shortly after I bought it because the stupid thing was always going off balance so much that I kept trying to see if it was level or not. When I would go to slide it out to check the level it would slide easily because the floor underneath was always damp right after or during a load, so I took the back off just to see if something was leaking. Everything was covered in tiny water droplets, so I ran a load with the back off and saw how it splashed from all the dispensers and from the recirc spray thing. Not enough to actually stream or soak anything, but enough to constantly keep it wet up there around the top. So that, combined with an obvious lack of any kind of rust resistant paint or porcelain underneath the top or on the ball joint suspension assembly, over a year and now 2 it has almost totally rusted out.I'm sure occasional bleach and soap in that splashed water has accelerated it even more. I will not ever have another Whirlpool. This has done it for me. I would think with a flashlight and a hand mirror and someone to help you push the drum down since it floats on springs, you should be able to then look around. Good luck!

• schutzhund
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thellmer, I think they may have addressed this, as I watched and watched each load, and the water shoots down and in, and does not get the plastic rim with barely more than a misty drop here and there. That's not to say it would not still happen, but I tend to think they know about it as a design flaw and fixed it with moving the water inlet line further down on later versions.

I agree wholeheartedly with DixieDarlin1. My money is on the fact that they know all about it, have fixed it, and the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Best of luck to you if you do write to them!

Schutzhund

• monica_pa Grieves
    15 years ago

Whirlpool WTW6700T (Second choice):

Pros: 4.6 cf, large cavernous capacity

Cons: saves 52% water, I read it tangles clothes real badly. Has this been fixed?

Must have been. I bought one the other day....did a load of queen size sheets and towels, using the sheets/towels instead of normal setting.
    Sheets were twisted a little...but not a lot. Sheets are 600 thread count. They came out of the dryer with no harm done. Towels and a couple of other things in the load weren't twisted at all.

Other loads of clothing....used delicate setting for some sweaters and normal for other clothing. No twisting.

I really like this washer.