SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcassel_gw

Does spray foam insulation really reduce the tonnage needed?

mcassel
16 years ago

All the tests have been done and the results are confusing... The Manual J test was run with both batt and open cell spray foam and although the spray foam did not need as much tonnage the difference was not enough to reduce the tonnage.

When I read spray foam web sites and insulation forums I see all the time people saying that spray foam reduced the HVAC by about 20% depending on variables but my Manual J test are not give the same result.

A little info about my house, three stories plus a basement and I have been advised to use three systems 3 tons for each of the top levels and 2 tons for the lower level... well not entirely true, because I want to use var speed compressors all my systems had to increase by 0.5 of a ton because the compressors are not made in 0.5 sizes.

So I essentially have 8tons of AC for a 3300sq/ft house and that tonnage does not go down when use spray foam insulation...

I'm left with two options, my expectation of the benefit of spray foam is exaggerated or I need to get a third party to run the manual J test...

Let me also say my GC has used this company for a long time and never had a problem; when I met them they said all the right things and I have confidence with them and their references could not be better.

Comments (11)