SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bookert_gw

Great article for those with allergies!

bookert
13 years ago

Sorry for not providing a link, I didn't know how to provide one!

From Debra Lynn Dadd site though.

People with allergies are generally advised to rid their homes of carpets and as much dust as they can. They also keep their laundry room busy in an on-going effort to wash away allergens. But exactly how effective is laundering in eliminating common allergens? In order to address these questions, researcher Jung-Won Park, MD, PhD, and his colleagues at Yonsei University in Seoul took on hundreds of piles of laundry contaminated with three common and notorious allergens -- dust mites, dog dander and pollen.

To determine the impact of water temperature, the research team put loads through wash cycles with cold water [86� F]... warm water [104� F]... and hot [140� F] and followed them all with a cold-water rinse. The winner of the wash-temperature sweepstakes? Not surprisingly, it was hot water. It killed all of the dust mites and significantly removed more of the dander and pollen than did the other temperatures. However, there was a surprising finding as well -- adding a second rinse cycle in cold water successfully removed nearly all dog dander, whatever the temperature of the previous wash cycle.

When I contacted Dr. Park to find out more, he told me that he now believes the most important factor for indoor environmental control for allergy patients is in fact proper laundering. While his study did not look specifically at cat dander, Dr. Park says that he believes this finding would likely apply to it as well. Important to note, he says, is that sufficient cycle times are a must, including total wash cycles of at least 40 to 50 minutes for hot water and 30 minutes for cold water. Machines should be set to at least two rinse cycles of 10 minutes each [this is usually the default setting]. He advises using these guidelines for regular laundering of all household bedding and clothing.

Note, however, that 140� F is considerably hotter than is safe for other home water uses. Ask your plumber about safety options, such as special valves to prevent scalding. You may also be able to get around this issue by simply adding a second rinse cycle to every load.

Comments (5)