SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
namabafo

Question about return duct work $ and efficiency

namabafo
16 years ago

Hi all, hope you can help me here--this may be a bit long for background, etc.

I have a 32 yr old 2 story house in MA with forced hot air heat and central air. I've been here for 3 years. We did some remodeling a year ago and had a company add some duct work for a/c for a seperately heated (hot water) sunroom/office addition by the PO.

We also had this company clean our ducts after construction and they found that the upstairs cold air return duct had never been hooked up (32 yrs ago). The duct ran down to the living room where it was just hanging open as it hit a return in the wall of the living room.

I just got a price for closing off the return in the living room (there are 2 others within 4 and 8 feet) and creating the duct work to hook it up. It seems high, but what do I know about it?? :-)

Also will this increase the efficiency of my systems (heat and a/c??) I'm running on natural gas (the house is approx 2400 sq ft--I think the upstairs is about 750 sq ft)

I like this compnay and thought they were a *bit* high for other work, but was willing to pay a bit extra for peace of mind and professionalism, but I wonder if I'm being zip-coded.

here's the quote:

Removal of a section of return duct work for access to the return riser and removal of the duct going to the low side wall grille in the living room to make room for the new duct connection

Shop fabrication of duct work as follows - special offset adapter, straight duct section, flexible connector and access panel

Installation of the ductwork to complete the retie in of the 2nd floor return

Total Investment: $1,353.00

They also quoted me for nat gas water heater replacement (it is 12 yrs old). I had a 40 gal replaced 6 years ago across townn at my old hosue for about $800 IIRC

40 gal--$1300

50 gal--$1500

any advce appreciated -- and I apologize if I don't get back immediately as we are ahving serious cable issues and they are working on the street today..

Nancy

Comments (4)