SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruthanna_gw

New Recipe Review - April 2013

ruthanna_gw
11 years ago

Tried any new recipes this month? How were they? Care to share them?

I had this recipe from a 2003 Gourmet magazine in my "to try" file and finally made it last week. I made it exactly as it was printed, with the addition of about 1/2 tsp. of dried basil, added during the final simmering.

We really liked the earthy flavor and unusual texture. The liver gave it a nice depth of flavor but you'd have to guess that it was in there. We had a little bit left next day for lunch and the ingredients benefitted from the overnight melding in the fridge. I would definitely make it again but next time, I would make the sauce the day before I wanted to serve it. The bracketed additions are mine.

FIORELLA'S RAGU DI FUNGHI PORCINI
From In Tuscany by Frances Mayes

This recipe begins with odori, the earthy mix of root vegetables and parsley
that is at the heart of many Tuscan dishes.

Serves 6 to 8

Odori:
1 carrot, minced
1 celery stalk, minced
1 onion, minced
A handful of parsley, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbs. EV olive oil

2 Italian sausages, casings removed [14 oz.]
3/4 pound ground veal
2 chicken livers, cut in small pieces
Salt
Pinch of red pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup red wine [I used chianti]
1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
1 Tbs. tomato paste
6 to 7 fresh chopped tomatoes or one 28-ounce can tomatoes

Sauté the odori ingredients in the olive oil [medium heat] to make the odori. Add the sausage, veal, liver, salt, red pepper and garlic. Sauté until brown, [medium-high heat] stirring often. When the mixture begins to stick to the pan, add the wine and stir [occasionally] until it evaporates. Meanwhile, put the dried mushrooms in hot water for 10 minutes. Remove them from the water [straining and reserving it], chop, and add them to the meat, stirring well. Add the tomato paste and the tomatoes. When the sauce has come to a boil, add the water from the dried mushrooms, well filtered. Simmer slowly for about 40 minutes. Serve with fresh-cooked, al dente tagliatelle or fettuccine. [I used fettuccini but would also be good on mafalda. It's too chunky for thin pasta like spaghetti.]

Comments (15)