SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iristyle

Asko W6021 / T731 - pitiful drying performance - recommendations?

iristyle
18 years ago

I've been a lurker here for a long time, and it was with quite a bit of research here that I decided on purchasing the Asko W6021 washer and Asko T731 dryer about 6 months ago. I'm sorry to say, that I've been extremely underwhelmed with the units, and more specifically the drying process. With this post, I'm hoping to solicit some feedback from other forum users / servicers who may be familiar with these units, before I really go nuts on Asko service. Let me give some of the details regarding my installation, etc.

- Up front, I've had these problems about 6 months now -- and I know that I should have been more proactive (read: less lazy) in doing something about the problems I've had -- keeping that in mind, please go easy on me ;0

- I live in a new construction townhouse style condo. I opted to have my washer/dryer installed on the second floor of my unit, in a closet just outside my master bedroom. I specifically chose the Asko units, because of their compact size (the closet is barely wide enough to accommodate the units), efficiency, wash cycles, internal heater, etc. I have them in a stacked configuration. The exhaust for the dryer is actually piped to the first floor (since the 2nd floor installation was a mod to the original floor plans) -- I would speculate the vent run is approximately 30 feet (but that's pure speculation as I don't know how the venting is routed through the walls).

- Since day 1, I've had problems drying. In fact, the only program that I can get to dry my clothes is timed dry -- set to 90 minutes. Any of the other cycles shut off prematurely with the clothes still wet (sometimes only running for 10 or 15 minutes!). I chose this unit, because it was my understanding that there's a sensor that determines when to stop drying -- it seems this sensor is not working properly. Most times, it takes multiple(!) 90 minute cycles on timed dry to get a load dry (especially when I'm dealing with cottons). I've seen a fuse problem mentioned on the forums with this particular model -- but I don't believe that this is my problem, as the unit doesn't power down / need to be reset, it just stops the drying cycle (and my unit was manufactured after this problem was resolved I believe).

- On occasion, the wash cycle will complete and the door won't unlock. The 'work-around' is to run a drain or spin cycle to remove the extra water from the tub. (I've read this can be the symptom of too much detergent / over-sudsing, which could be a user problem on the [infrequent] instances when it happens.)

- When I originally started experiencing problems, I dug through the installation manual to see if there were any potential gotchas that I missed. I found one -- that the recommended drain height has a maximum of 36". Typical American model washer installations install the drain at a height of 48" -- and that's what my plumbers set up. When I spoke to Asko customer service, they said that this could definitely be an...

Comments (29)