SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
judithn_gw

Would You Relocate for $$$?

judithn
12 years ago

Well, in the midst of this awful economy my husband's been offered a job that's paying significantly more than he now makes but we have to move cross country to Scottsdale, AZ. I have one child whose a freshman in college on the east coast and another just starting sophomore year of high school. We've lived in our current town for 15 years, I've built up a really nice network of friends here that will be hard to leave. But the additional money means we can pay for our kids college tuitions without struggling and continue saving for retirement. The salary on the table is actually almost double his current salary. WWYD?

Comments (41)

• awm03
    12 years ago

Move.

• bestyears
    12 years ago

I would do it -if nothing else, as a short-term adventure.... How difficult would it be to come back if you don't like it? Also, of course, how do the living expenses compare? Would you truly be that far ahead, or would some of it be eaten up in additional costs?

• Related Discussions

Looking to relocate to NC....what do you think is the best part o

Q

Comments (56)
    Brian, thanks for your very informative response. I have been to the Raleigh/Chapel Hill/Cary area a few times while visiting my son who is stationed in Goldsboro and found it very lovely. My DH was raised in a town in Connecticut that had a population of 2200 and now we live in a town with a population of 480. He actually LIKES this. I am all for living in a small town for I like the sense of community pride and commorodity that goes with that but I prefer a small town with at least 15,000 - 20,000 people LOL. My DH also wants acreage. Not a particular desire of mine as long as I am not living on top of someone else. He could never live on a property less than a few acres and that is where we are running into some issues. Due to the type of work he does we need to be within reasonable driving distance to a metropolitan area. I understand that Raleigh and Charlotte are the two places he is most likely to find employment so I have been scouting bedroom communities for both cities. I have found some lovely homes in the Lake Norman district outside of Charlotte as well as some in the Cary as well as Clayton area outside Raleigh. Thanks for the headsup about northern Raleigh and Cary. One thing I know is sure to send my hubby off the deep end is the hummer crowd. We see a lot of that where we live in the Berkshires. My hubby is a sweetheart and hates confrontation but he is also a man comfortable with who he is. Whenever he is amid the keep-up-with-the-Jones type of people something comes over him and he turns into a neanderthal which if it weren't so in-your-face- on his part it would be rather comical. We have the "New York" aka "The Wallstreet Crowd" that own summer homes around the lakes in our area. They are excruciatingly politically correct, pretentious and obnoxious. To protest their invasion every year DH goes out of his way to make things unpleasant for them. He has an old truck that he named Mable. The thing should have been buried about 25 years ago yet he insists on keeping it professing its value for hauling things around the property. At the peak of summer when he is sure to find the snobs, I mean New Yorkers at the one and only general store in the area he insists on driving my little daughter (who does not know any better) to the store for an ice cream cone. I have had the "pleasure" of being on a few of those trips myself and it is rather humorous to see the expressions on these peoples faces as he pulls "Mable" next to their Lexus' or Hummers. LOL...I overheard one man tell his wife "it really is time to sell our place here" after seeing my husband pull in and get out of his truck. She responded "oh dear but we love the lake so". It was the one and only time that I really wanted to go up to someone and tell them how rude they were and how much we looked forward to fall every year to be rid of them. At the time my DH was running his own company and financially was probably doing as well as anyone of these pompous jerks but they judged the book by the cover and thought we were the "poor relations". I managed to hold my tongue and I am glad I did. What do I care what these trogs think anyway and it is a good lesson for my daughter to learn about humbleness as well as seeing for herself how plastic some people truly are. I am all for intellectual dialect but attitudes are best checked at the door.
    ...See More

If you've relocated

Q

Comments (31)
    DC native here but living in MD. "Lived" in Chicago area (about 20mi from O'Hare) for almost a year. Boy do I miss Giordano's!! Also can't get good hot dogs here either. I never really liked them before my stay in Chicago. While WAITING, and WAITING in the airport terminal (infamous O'hare saga), I ordered a hot dog - not thinking it would come dressed to the nines, with lettuce and cucumbers - boy was it good. Every once in a while, ya just gotta have a hot dog. Also miss the shopping!!!
    ...See More

Did you relocate just so you could own a home?

Q

Comments (13)
    Sort of, in our case. We actually had a home in NoNJ and after being there five years we just couldn't afford it anymore due to ever-increasing property taxes and my husband getting laid off in 2003 and not finding a full-time job (he got into real estate which helped, but money wasn't steady as he was "new" to it). By early this year we were broke and about to lose our house. So we put it on the market, sold it pretty quickly (which was fortunate as our market was softening) and moved to South Carolina where I was able to find a job and we found a house within a month of moving here (we were in a rental apartment when we arrived here). We have been blessed and it was the best decision we could have made. Cost of living is less down here whereas my salary didn't reduce THAT much (I'm a secretary). We had a healthy downpayment on the new house and with lower property taxes our mortgage payment was cut by half due to the move. If you are able to save for a downpayment I recommend doing that FIRST. Have a NICE BIG downpayment for your budgeted house price. This will make it that much easier when you move to your new area. I highly recommend Fort Mill, SC, where we relocated. It's close to Charlotte, NC and the beach and snowskiing are within a few hours drive.
    ...See More

Have you /are you relocating ?

Q

Comments (16)
    We live in So. California but plan to retire in 3 to 4 years to Virginia. We have no friends (yet) or family there. We love it there and it is so different than where we live now. We are really tired of the crowds and traffic wherever you go in So. Cal. We try to visit Virginia at least once a year and have been there in the hottest of summers and the coldest of winters, so we know what we are getting into. We want an adventure - new people, diferent customs, 4 seasons, southern hospitality, green and beautiful, and new places to visit. We love American history and gardening and Virginia is overflowing with both. We belong to a close-knit but large international church and there will be members of our church wherever we relocate. We have a lovely home and will get big $$$ when we retire and be able to pay cash for an equal or better house with money left over - the cost of living is less in VA - which appeals to us. We will visit our children, grandchildren and friends often. At some point, we may move back to CA, but we will be retiring in our 50's (I'm 51 now), so we should have quite a few years of travel and discovery. We are excited about our plan.
    ...See More
  • bestyears
    12 years ago

I would do it -if nothing else, as a short-term adventure.... How difficult would it be to come back if you don't like it? Also, of course, how do the living expenses compare? Would you truly be that far ahead, or would some of it be eaten up in additional costs?

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

I'd have a very hard time. We have lived in our current town for 15 years too, with similar age kids (plus one more, age 10). I know my middle son would be devastated and so would I. We have a very close knit group of friends in our town, too. Ack. That's a tough one. I wish you luck with a difficult decision!

• DLM2000-GW
    12 years ago

If you had asked me this when I had one son in college and the other in high school, I'd have hesitated to tell you to uproot your family. I'd have said, it'll be hard for your high schooler to adjust to a new school. I'd have told you your college freshman deserves to come home to the home he knows.

I now have a 22 year old in his last year of college and a 26 year old and have a completely different perspective. My sons have told me over and over that they WISHED we'd moved, made life changes, and had the chance to do what WE wanted to do before this economy tanked. They not only would have adjusted but would have grown with the opportunity to try something new for themselves.

If you've done the math, compared true costs from where you are to AZ and if the money really will buy you an easier life, then absolutely move. Kids are amazingly resilient and will take their cues from you. With one still in high school you have the perfect opportunity to meet people and get involved with all the parent groups that support the various clubs, athletics and even the PTA/O. If you get involved you'll make new friends. This can be really exciting! There are some lovely suburban areas around Phoenix - Scottsdale is only one option. And some of that extra $$ can be for visits back to the friends you miss.

• jmc01
    12 years ago

Move without a doubt. We've done it 4 times and, although the process of moving is a hassle, there is nothing better than expanding one's horizons, having new opportunities, making new friends to join the old friends. The super pay increase is a huge plus in this day and age. Get packing!

• jlj48
    12 years ago

Move. We've had to move with my husband's job 3 times, and one was half way across the country. The company your husband will work for may move you, which is the most awesome way to do it. Sometimes they even buy your house for you if yours doesn't sell and pay for temporary housing in your new location. Change is a part of life and your kids will be stronger for it. If you HATE it, you can always move back but give it a chance. Include your kids on the decisions of which house to move into, where to live, and discuss things to do in the community. Get a house with a guest room and friends that want to stay connected will come and see you. Our first move was so hard on us because it was so far away. But we did it and are closer as a family for it. It amazes me now to talk to friends that have NEVER lived anywhere but in the communities they grew up in. There is so much out there to see and do and they've missed it many times because they passed up opportunities because they were afraid of change. Good luck with your decision. I know how tough it is.

• User
    12 years ago

I was just in Scottsdale last year and the year before. Be sure you are can tolerate the weather...I couldn't and the EXPENSE. It is amazingly and crazy expensive. I love the winter/fall there and the trails and the parks are great. But ....the heat would do me in in no time flat. I hate hate hate the flat dry brown expanse. So you need to go and look now...while it still looks awful and brown and HOT !!

I do not want to be a naysayer...but unless you are used to this...which I am NOT I couldn't live there for any amount of money. c

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

You know, it might be really fun. I have a good friend whose husband was in the military and she has been everywhere and loved it. Consider it a new adventure!

• abundantblessings
    12 years ago

I second jcm with a caveat. If this offer is with a new company, then he needs to assess the long-term viability of the job/company and his fit to justify the move. If it's an internal offer that he's comfortable will be secure and he will be able to meet the challenge, then, yes, in a heartbeat.

The world is large and you and your children will benefit by the stretch, even if you decide you want to relocate later. So says a gypsy at heart. ;)

Good luck!

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Move! Nothing ventured nothing gained! What a gift to your children if they can come out of college with no debt. What a gift to yourselves to have enough money to retire and enjoy it. There are nice people everywhere and there are plenty in Scottsdale, I am sure. And remember:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.

So throw off the bowlines.

Sail away from the safe harbor.

Catch the trade winds in your sails.

Explore.

Dream.

Discover.

-- Mark Twain

• blfenton
    12 years ago

If my husband was offered a transfer at double his current salary there wouldn't be any discussion. I'd be the first out with the packing boxes even if we were moving to the middle of the prairies and their horrible winters.

• judithn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all advice thus far. The opportunity is w/a company that he's been consulting to for about a year so he does know a fair amount about the projects and players. Also, he spent a few months on location w/the client last year and 1 - 2 weeks a month this year so he's become somewhat familiar with the area. I won't say he's in love w/it from a scenery standpoint. We're easterners, love the seasons, nature, and beach etc. I'm open to really exploring a new part of the country at least for a few years but my son is really happy in his current school and I don't think he sees any upside to moving. We haven't talked too much about it, I don't want to upset him unless it's really happening. I'm a little worried about the schools because these last two years of HS are really important for college and if he's not happy and does poorly it might be a problem for him. DLM2000, good point about getting involved in school activities to meet people. As for the weather Trailrunner, yes, DH says it's like walking on the surface of the sun during the summer and I'm not sure how I'll handle it. I also am not thrilled having a whole country between us and our college aged child. She chose her school based partly on it's proximity to home and if we now pick up and move cross country it kind of defeats that entirely. Then again, the extra $$ would allow plane tix. Oh, and I've never actually BEEN to Arizona so I have no idea what we'd be getting into.

• mary_lu_gw
    12 years ago

We did. In fact when we moved we left all children and 1 grandson behind. The joke was...we ran away from home! We only moved 4 hours away, but it does make dropins nonexistent. We have lived here 10+ years, but have started discussing moving back by the kids after we retire in 1-2 years. We now have 8 grandchildren and dislike all the things we are missing out on.

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

She chose her school based partly on it's proximity to home and if we now pick up and move cross country it kind of defeats that entirely.

Or it could be the best thing in the world for her as far as becoming an independent adult.

• neetsiepie
    12 years ago

Tough question. We did it once when I was offered a job at a significant pay increase. DH had just been laid off work, so it was pretty much a no-brainer. My eldest was just starting middle school, so her transition was easy as all the kids her age were also starting and hadn't formed cliques yet.

I was recently offered the opportunity to relocate. The pay would be the same, but it is in a different region of the state. So DH and I went there for a weekend and hated, just HATED the area. So that was a good experience for us...before, I'd just said yes to the promotion and moved us to a place we'd never even visited before! Fortunately we grew to love it.

Definitely check the cost of living and do some number crunching. I recently learned that there is another state that pays CONSIDERABLY more than where I live. The COL is comparable, and there is very low unemployment. BUT the weather is something that I couldn't tolerate for a day, let alone months on end. So, even tho DH and I looked into it, we decided we'd rather make due with what we know now and wait till the right location comes up.

• mahatmacat1
    12 years ago

Good point, trailrunner - I hope it's not lost. Have you compared actual costs-of-living in each town? Maybe there's a reason the salary is so much more, and you might not be able to save as much as you think, once living expenses are taken out. I know that if DH got *double* what he's getting here if we moved to CA, it still wouldn't allow us the same standard of living. He'd have to make about 5 times what he makes here. Seriously. You might want to make extra sure of that factor.

• leahcate
    12 years ago

Tough decision for you. If you decide to go, do consider renting your home if it makes sense $-wise, and rent in Az. In other words: Don't burn your bridges. Also, if you go, consider vacationing near home during the school holidays, and especially summer! You may love the desert; many do, though I'm not one. Still, if you live in a buggy, humid area, there are compensations awaiting you in Az.

• kgwlisa
    12 years ago

I guess I have a completely different point of view. To me, the point of money is to have a happier life. If it is not going to buy you a happier life, there is really no sense in making the move. But money in itself has never made me happy... I would rather struggle in a place I love than have things easy in a place I did not.

I am an east coaster and did live in Houston for a few years... no seasons, stifling heat, and humidity on top of it (unlike Arizona). I never felt at home there even though we had a large beautiful new house for a fraction (less than half) of what we ended up paying for a smaller very old house on the east coast. I hated the weather, I never found my stride in regard to the people and I wanted to go "home." The house did nothing to make me happy in a place where I was not happy.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

I'm glad you posted before me kgwlisa (we seem to be on the same wavelength lately LOL). I totally agree with you.

I have lived in this same vicinity (different areas/cities, but same locale) all my life. We have deep roots here. I am responsible for my 93 year old grandmother and my dad is still living. I would not feel comfortable at all leaving them. We have many friends and family in the area and that is important to us. A strong support network, our church, etc., etc., etc.

Of course this is what works for US. You have to think where you are at this point in your life. We have no children, are financially independent, own our home, etc. so even though all the extra money could be nice, it's not like we have to think about putting children through college.

It sounds to me like it could very well work out for you. I wish you much luck and hope you'll keep us posted!!

tina

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

You can speculate either way about things- that your son will have a hard time, but he could have a wonderful time, you love the East but you have never been to Arizona and might love it, ....etc.
    Not having college debts and having money to do a few things does help a lot and your children will be grateful some day. And I do think it could be a good thing for your daughter in college too. I did not transition well to college and was dependent on my parents because they made it so. I look at friends who were much more independent than I and current friends daughters who are amazingly mature and independent compared to what I was and I wish I had toughened up and matured better. I still have unresolved issues.

• yogacat
    12 years ago

A kid's response to moving is very individual. I moved a lot as as kid, so I do have opinions. I was in the same school for complete consecutive years only twice (4th and 5th grades and 10th and 11th grades). As with most things there are advantages and disadvantages.

A lot depends on the child's personality. It helps a lot to like school in general and to not mind working hard to keep up. I have trouble envisioning a good outcome without those characteristics. On the plus side, one learns to become flexible and to understand firsthand that there are major cultural difference within a single country.

A couple of cautionary notes:

Moving a kid between junior and senior years of high school is terribly destructive. It took me decades to forgive my parents for that. If you find that you don't like AZ, it would be best to move before the start of the junior year.

Breaking up a foreign language sequence is a disaster - even for an excellent student. In the 9th grade I was in 3 different schools in 3 different states. I bounced from ecclesiastic Latin to classic Latin and back. Each school had a different vocabulary and was teaching the grammar in a different order. I got a B for the year (a marginal grade for me), but there's no way that I could have done well the next year. That's when I threw a tantrum and told my parents that they HAD to stay put for at least 2 years so that I could get enough of a foreign language to get into my target university. I switched to French, which I already had a working knowledge of, just in case. There can be similar issues with math and lab sciences, but those were easier for me.

In short, you really need to understand your kid to know whether moving will be a problem or not.

• deegw
    12 years ago

We have moved a fair amount for my husband's career. Most of the moves have been at the request of his company so it hasn't really been our choice. Each move included a salary increase so thankfully at this point we are pretty comfortable financially. The most recent move was two years ago after living in an area for seven years. My daughters were heading into 11th and 7th grade. It was very tough on them, especially my shy high schooler.

I don't know what to tell you. I am friendly with people here but I really miss my gal group from my old town. I love my friend's kids too and it makes me sad not to be a part of their every day lives anymore.

My new town is MUCH nicer than where we used to live so that plus the additional money certainly helps the situation.

If your high school boy was a junior, I would suggest you staying with him and letting him finish out school while your husband rented an apartment in AZ. Unfortunately, I think three years is too long to be apart.

I would definitely go for a visit before you make a decision. Arizona is VERY different from the east coast.

One great thing about moving is that it makes you aware and appreciative of different lifestyles, cultures, regional differences, regional food, etc.

Do I regret moving? Not really, but this last move has been pretty tough on our family emotionally.

• deegw
    12 years ago

Goodness, I just reread your post. Double the salary? As long as the new area isn't wildly more expensive than your current location, I would say that the financially security is worth the emotional hassle.

We "bribed" our kids when we moved - new car for one, expensive gadget for the other. It didn't make their transition any easier but it did give them something to look forward to when we moved.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

whatever you decide, there will be pros and cons...and there really is no way of knowing if the pros will outweigh the cons beforehand.

i moved before my sophmore year in highschool for the 1st time ever and i was absolutely devastated. i was the youngest in my family, so the only one left at home, so even my sibs didn't move with me. but then, middle of my jr year, we moved back to the east coast and i found myself very sad to be leaving the small, idyllic, midwestern town, even though we were going 'home'...

i went far from home for college, met my husband and have lived several places around the country since we married. always thought of the moves as adventures. have been where we are now right at 10 years.

2 1/2 yrs ago, my hub took a job quite far away from where we live. we spent alot of time trying to figure out if we should move or if just he should 'move'. we opted to do that since we weren't positive if this job would work out and because my oldest was in college and younger 2 were in highschool...our arrangement is getting old, but for us, i think it was the right decision. he comes home as often as he can and we go there sometimes-esp in the winter when it's not so nice here and very nice where he is! we talk on the phone often! i don't think he'll be with this job a whole lot longer---another yr or 2 maybe, so an end is in sight....then, who knows what the next adventure will be!!

• User
    12 years ago

This is a tough one. I think a lot depends on how your kids feel about it. And what you know about your kids. Some kids handle moves without a problem. For others, it would be devastating. For myself, it we had told my DD while in high school (she is now 25) that we were moving across the country, I do not think she would have survived. On the other hand, my 10 year old DS would probably do ok with it, although he would certainly say he doesn't want to go. Different personalities.

I strongly suggest you visit before making a decision. I live on the east coast (NJ), but I've spent significant time in Arizona when I was younger (1st DH's family lived there), and I can tell you there is no amount of money that would make me move there. It's just not for me for a lot of reasons.

• User
    12 years ago

Also, wanted to add, be sure to consider the security with your DH's current job and the potential new job. Not sure in this economy I would want to be the "new guy", and perhaps the 1st to go if there are layoffs.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

Did it. Ohio to El Paso Texas. First year kinda hard. Now, we don't see ourselves ever living north-ish again.

As far as the kids moving thing, it's not like when we were little. A "new kid" at school was a BIG deal. With the economony, there's a "new kid" at school all the time because everyone is having to uproot and relocate for jobs - all year long. Kids come and go in the middle of the year sometimes.

My kids fit right in really quickly because, again, so much moving especially in the last few years for everyone. Rare to find a group of kids who have been together since kindergarten for example -- that kind of tightly knit dynamic, hard for other kids to be accepted social sitution was what I was most concerned about moving my kids to new schools. After fact, realized it was totally imagained on my part, complete non issue.

• awm03
    12 years ago

Just a few thoughts:

Your 15-year friendships may be in a transition phase anyway, now that your kids are starting college. I was surprised how many of our friends moved away or pursued other interests once we didn't have the PTA, the church group, athletics, etc. to bind us together anymore. Our post-high school social life has taken awhile to rebuild and consists of mostly new faces.

I'm sure you value the grapevine of info your friends currently provide, and losing that will make you feel like a less efficient mom. You'll feel terribly out of the loop at first. You'll seek out volunteer activities partly to make friends, partly to keep your ear to the ground.

Is your son a strong student? Have strong interests? Is he generally well-behaved? If so, he'll have an easier time finding a good & accepting peer group (good kids enjoy other good kids). If not, then think twice about moving him.

Finally, how about your husband's happiness? Sounds like the easier financial picture would save him a lot of wear & tear. My husband's been on the treadmill for over 30 years now to provide us with a nice life. I worry about him wearing out, frankly. The grind has aged him. If moving could take some stress off of your husband by eliminating college debt worries (a HUGE advantage for your kids too) & by building up a retirement nest egg, then that could mean better health, a longer life, & a happier partner for you.

• forhgtv
    12 years ago

I've moved cross-country several times for jobs. Some cities, I enjoyed immensely; others, I hated. The physical move, while stressful, is ultimately the easiest part of the move. Finding replacements for all the things in your daily life, including friends, is harder. It's best if you jump in with both feet. As others have mentioned, get involved with your child's school and other local organizations related to your interests, meet people and get recommendations from everyone you meet for the best cleaners, grocery store, hair salon, etc.

Scottsdale is hot and it does have what they call monsoon season when it's also humid. However, people dress to deal with the heat and everywhere is air-conditioned. The hardest thing to get used to there (to me) is the scrubby appearance of the xeriscape and the lack of lights at night. Scottsdale is nicely upscale, has great shopping and plenty of access to hiking, biking, and running trails and other outdoor activities. You also may have to search a bit to find a home that doesn't have some southwestern architectural features on the interior.

Most teenagers hate change, so you may have a little bit of a struggle with your son. Hopefully, he has interests that will help him mix in with others easily at school.

• annie1971
    12 years ago

It depends. There isn't enough money to move me from our home now. But, you have a child and I'm just guessing that your extra income would also be benefiting by a better cost of living in Arizona. Teenagers do hate change and the adjustment might mean more attention on your part to be certain that your teen doesn't fall into the wrong crowd. That crowd always seems to be more welcoming to new comers. But would I move, simply for $$. No way. We took a 75% reduction in income when we moved here, by choice, and have never looked back.

• texanjana
    12 years ago

I would not do it. Moving in high school is devastatingly difficult. As someone said, it would depend on the child's personality, though. I would also second what someone else said about Scottsdale. Don't assume because it is Arizona that it is a cheap place to live. It is very high-end, uppity, and expensive. I have two friends who live there and have visited often.

• robin_DC
    12 years ago

I would move. But then, I tend not to be very wedded to a location. I grew up in the midwest, live on the east coast, considered moving to the west coast when i was in my 20s, and DH and I fantasize about living abroad. My best friends live in different states; what I've found is that my dearest friends and I manage to stay close even when we live across the country from each other. We travel to see each other, and talk on email, etc. Acquaintances change, but if you work or are involved in activities/organizations, you can meet new people (easiest if you work outside the home; I pick up a new set of friends whenever I change jobs, and there are always at least 1 or 2 coworkers that I really click with).

It seems that it should be early enough in high school for your younger child to adapt. For the college student, it shouldn't matter; in fact, it could make coming home to visit you like a vacation (i.e. more fun). If you can afford a private school, there will probably be other 'new' faces, or at least plenty of people who have not spent the past 15 years in the same school/class. Maybe even in the public school, depending on where you move.

• yogacat
    12 years ago

Just had a thought about the college student. If the school is a state college, would your change to out of state residency cause you to have to pay out of state tuition for your kid?

• linda1949
    12 years ago

IF you like hot weather and you think your teenager won't be traumatized by the move then I say start packing. Do so with a positive attitude and think of it as an adventure. If you stay positive your familty will adjust. We moved so many times but never when our kids were in their last year of high school. They always adjusted. After graduating from high school (one in Wyoming and one in Washington) they traveled all over the world. They are never afraid to make new friends and enjoy new experiences. They have both gratuated from college and are in exciting careers that involve travel. We're retired now but sometimes I still miss the excitement of a new house in an unfamiliar place. Many sweet memories.

• goldengirl327
    12 years ago

Will the company pay for you to take a trip to Scottsdale to spend a long weekend? Years ago, when our children were little, my husband and I were considering a move due to a promotion opportunity and his company paid for us to go to the new location for a long weekend. Like your offer, ours seemed too good to be true and we were ready to leap. During our weekend away, we met with a real estate agent who showed us around the area and also showed us at least a dozen homes. We did fall in love with the area, but found out that the cost of living was higher and the salary offer would not be enough to buy us a house nearly as big and well made as the one that we were leaving. Ultimately, we decided not to move. Fast forward now and our oldest is in college (not too far away so she can come home when she wants and see her old friends when she can) and our second is in high school. He is involved with many activities and has a girlfriend. Given a choice, I'm not sure that I could move them right now. The key word, however, is choice. If I had no other choice or options, then we probably would move.

• judithn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi everyone,

Right now we're waiting for the final offer w/all the details, it's expected to come this with week. I am trying to stay calm.

Yes yogacat, our college student's tuition would jump to an out of state rate. We'll be factoring that in. And goldengirl, we'd definitely go out there to look around at real estate and get a feel for the place.

My husband's been going back and forth (he's working as a consultant for the company that's interested in hiring him) but he lives in a hotel when he's there and has no idea about real estate costs.

Texanjana, I do worry a little about Scottsdale's rep but DH's job will be in Phoenix so we may end up somewhere else.

I really don't know how this is going to play out yet but as always, I appreciate everyone's comments and advice.

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

Just had a thought about the college student. If the school is a state college, would your change to out of state residency cause you to have to pay out of state tuition for your kid?

In my experience, it is the residency of the student that counts. Your child who is currently in college will not be changing residency, so the tuition should remain in state. At least that is the way that it works in the states that I am familiar with.

• CaroleOH
    12 years ago

Only if the student is totally self sufficient. In Ohio, residency is based on where your financial support comes from.

I love Arizona, the sky is so blue and the air so crisp. No humidity or mosquitoes!

It would be a tough choice, and hard to leave friends and family, but life is short and you can always come back. I'd also consider renting your house vs. selling in case you want to come back. But, if the employment package includes selling - covering real estate fees, moving costs etc. I may be inclined to take it and if you move back find another home.

• judithn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Caroleoh, I have not really thought about renting out our current home because by the time we'd come back both kids would be in college and at that point I'd want to downsize anyway. We chose this neighborhood partly because it was near schools and shopping and it had sidewalks so the kids could bike around easily. If DH and I came back to this area we would probably look for something smaller (but big enough for returning children) anyway. I don't think we could afford to keep it to rent for an investment or anything because we'd need the proceeds from a sale to buy something else. There's probably an argument to be made for waiting until real estate prices go up again, but who knows how long that will take and I don't know how easy it would be to "manage" a property cross country or come back later to get it in shape and ready to market after its been occupied by renters. I guess it does depend on the relo package. We're still waiting to get those details.

• User
    12 years ago

"I love Arizona, the sky is so blue and the air so crisp. No humidity or mosquitoes!"

When the temp is 115, it doesn't feel crisp and no humidity doesn't matter. And this is coming from someone that loves the heat. But, summers there are really, really hot.

True, no mosquitoes...just snakes and tarantulas. Just saying.