SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flyingflower

Do you stash cash?

flyingflower
12 years ago

Do you squirrel cash in your house for emergencies? If so, how much? All the disasters lately started me thinking, should I have SOME money under the preverbial mattress?

We always have cash around so I don't have to go to the ATM as often but I doubt that would be enough. I take a couple hundred out at a time and put it in a little tin box that's easily accessible. When one of us needs a 20 that's where we go. Only when the tin empties do I add more.

So that's everyday spending money. But what about emergency money? I'm not the kind of person who hoards food (nor do I have the space). Since I'd hardly be losing interest by keeping some money here rather than at the bank, with rates the way we are I can pass on the 5 cent interest. ;-)

We always hear how you're supposed to save 6 months salary for those times when you're out of work. But no one ever says anything about keeping cash in the home. Is it advised or unnecessary in this day and age? Not like we're living in a country where you wouldn't be able to get to a bank. Providing they're operating. It would have to be a pretty big disaster for that to happen don't you think?

Comments (19)