SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbpdl

Most Efficient Way to Use This Kind of System?

arbpdl
14 years ago

We just bought a 120 year old victorian house - very drafty and cold. There is a furnace in the basement and one in the attic. One the main floor are the living areas and all bedrooms are on the second floor.

I've been told this is a 90% system - not sure what that means.

We moved in at the end of winter when the furnace was still needed but it wasn't horrible out. At night when everyone headed upstairs, I would turn the downstairs thermo way down and leave the upstairs thermo at a comfortable sleeping temp and we did fine. I figured there was no point running the downstairs one all night when no one was on the first floor and since cold air doesn't rise, I assumed it wouldn't affect the upstairs temp.

Is that correct?

Now, once summer comes and we switch to the a.c. (also two units), what is the most energy conserving strategy for day time versus night time settings? Since heat does rise, I'm not sure my theory of changing the thermo at night is a valid one .... maybe turning the upstairs one way up during the day (not cooling it as much) is the way to go? Or does that make it that much harder to get it cool at night?

Because it is drafty it does take much longer for the furnace to warm it. I assume the same would be true for the central air, though it hasn't been warm enough to turn it on.

Anything else I should know about using this type of two unit system? I've never had anything like this and want to make sure I'm using it wisely. I can't afford a double whammy heating or cooling bill by running things the wrong way.

TIA!!

Comments (3)