SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Pantry cabinet, which is most efficient?

TxMarti
13 years ago

This is my current cabinet:

{{!gwi}}

It was built with 4 shelves, 2 feet deep. All the stuff on the cabinet at right came out of the empty shelf, and just about that jumbled. When I pulled it all out, I discovered lots of things I didn't know I had. I can't reach into the cabinet above it, so I just leave stuff in front of the doors on top of the lower cabinet.

When we give the kitchen it's facelift, I want to start with this cabinet. I want to make the lower part more efficient, so I can actually get to the stuff in the back without unloading the whole shelf. I can do several things.

1) Put more pull out shelves like I put on the two bottom shelves. I got those at Container Store, but now Lowe's had some that are even better.

{{!gwi}}

The problem with the drawers I have is that heavy items have to be in the center or they won't pull out right, and small things fall off the back or won't sit flat on the wire. I could solve that last problem by putting a piece of 1/4" plywood on the bottom.

2) Cut the shelves out and put in pull out pantry shelves like this

{{!gwi}}

or

3) take the doors off and attach to this type pull out

{{!gwi}}

or

4) something similar to this

{{!gwi}}

or

5) this one

{{!gwi}}

At first, I wanted to do pull outs like #3. But the more I think about it, the more I wonder if I would be able to get to things against the wall when the unit was pulled fully out. Same with #2.

#4 & #5 look wonderful, but it also looks like there is a lot of wasted space, and this is my only pantry. I need to get as much in there as I can.

For those of you who have any of these systems, can you guess how much less %-wise, you get into the pantry? If it were your only pantry, about 2 feet wide, would you be able to get everything in that you need?

Actually, after finally putting all this into words, I'm leaning toward the pull-out drawers/baskets. I'd cut out the wood shelves and put the drawers, spacing some closer together for the shorter items.

Any input appreciated - obviously I'm still on the fence about it.

Above the pantry, I'm going to build the cabinet out so it is flush with the front of the lower cabinet. I'm thinking glass fronts and putting china or something in there. Would it look odd to have glass doors there and maybe one upper on the other side?

Comments (18)