SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Forced landscaping

neetsiepie
10 years ago

We had a huge red maple tree cut out of our front yard and the guy just finished it up a couple days ago. I'd been on my husband for ages to get it taken out-it was dying and a danger.

We're having a nasty wind/rain storm this weekend, and another tree in the front yard decided to give up the ghost. A large (16" diameter!" limb broke and fell onto a lower limb and both hit the house. We had to have the power company come out and cut a couple others that would have taken out our power line. The worst of the damaging parts are now out, but we have a small hole in the roof and a leak in the kitchen ceiling.

The guy who cut out the first tree for us came over and got the limbs down off the house and he confirmed that the other tree would have definitely broken off and come thru the house in this storm. I KNEW IT! Our neighbors were upset we'd had it taken out, but I was sure it was unsafe, and I was right.

So any way, now we will have to re-landscape, and depending on the fall out of this storm-need roof line repair for sure. I have a fantasy of needing a whole new roof-which would mean new gutters, fascia, porch, paint jobs...oh, and if the kitchen ceiling is messed up, surely that would mean the soffits are also water damaged and need to come out so that would mean we'd have to do some remodeling. Ha....probably be lucky if the total damage exceeds the deductible.

BUT what has me really worried is the next door neighbor-his trees are far, far worse than ours-I can see out our back deck that he's got huge limbs broken off in his yard, and theres a big limb that if (when) it falls, will wipe out the fence and will take out part of our deck. That's not even including the trees in his front yard that could mess up our garage...

The storm hasn't even hit it's stride yet, either! The worst is supposed to be tomorrow

If you look to the upper right corner, you can see the upper limb that broke. Toward the bottom of the leaves you can see the split of the lower limb. The tree has literally been split in two. The lower limb is on the porch roof.

Comments (14)