SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dohcser

HELP: Thermostat Wiring for Air Handler and Heat Pump

dohcser
14 years ago

First let me tell you what equipment I have:

Air Handler: Lennox CB18-26-2P (Electric)

Heat Pump: Lennox 10HPB

New Thermostat: Feature Comfort LP160

On top of the air handler there is what I would call a distribution board in which the HP and Thermostat is wired to.

On the LP160 Thermostat it is labled as:

R - Switched Side, 24 VAC

O - Reversing Valve (Cool)

B - Reversing Valve (Heat)

G - Fan

W - Heater Output

Y - Cooler Output

C - Unswitched Side, 24 VAC

Current Wiring:

Thermostat --------Air Handler--------------Heat Pump

..........................3------------------------C (Green)

G-------------------G

W-------------------W1----------------------W1 (Yellow)

R-------------------R------------------------R (Black)

O--------------------------------------------O (Red direct to HP)

Y-------------------------------------------Y1 (White direct to HP)

Here is what is going on and tell me if this is how it is supposed to work:

1. On the Thermostat instructions it saids for Heat Pump usage I need to jumper Y & W together.

a. If I do this then where would I run the now single wire to?

b. I would be loosing either Y1 or W1 from my current configuration.

2. On the Thermostat instructions it saids for Heat Pump you should either use O or B never both, I chose to run it to O because the HP said O, but this is for the Reversing Valve, when would I know if to use O or B. On the Thermostat O = Cool and B = Heat.

3. Would anyone know what 3 is on the Air Handler? Is this is same as C? When I took the panel off on the Air handler I saw two wires, on going to the power supply and the other to a heating element.

4. I turned on the Thermostat on COOL and the HP kicked on and the AC kicked in as expected.

5. However when I put the temp up to 90 degrees the HP turned off and the Air Handler kicked in.

a. I thought that a Heat Pump would kick on when the temp was above 30 or 35 degrees. I was about 50 degrees when I did this.

All I need to know is if I wired it up properly and if not can you guide me. I did not touch any of the existing wiring from Air Handler to HP, i just tried matching up to thermostat.

Comments (3)