SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bold_as_love

Adding A/C

bold_as_love
14 years ago

I had a bid to add A/C to my home. The gentleman has since retired and moved and I cannot find the bid with the specs for the coil, etc.........We had gas heat added when we bought the home in Dec. of '08, but opted to not have A/C at the time. I have a friend with HVAC exp. who will help me install it all, but I need to figure out what to purchase. I have "twinned" Payne PG9MAB furnaces, unit size 048100, 100,000 BTUs, single thermostat. If I recall correctly, he was going to install (2) coils and one unit outside. Does that sound feasible? I'm going to guess the house, 2-story, is around 4,500 square feet, although 3 of the smaller rooms have no ductwork.

Also, the furnaces sit on a 4" (what I believe is called) downflow sub-base, built out of plywood. Each has (1) CA return attached to the side and then a second furnace filter between the unit and sub-base for additional return flow (I presume). Don't know if this matters, but I mention it because the plenum sits on top and there isn't a ton of room above before you get to the floor joists.

Is this do-able with (1) condenser unit outside and would I have to get separate A coils? I do recall him saying that he would only need (1) condenser unit.

Thanks

Comments (5)