SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kevink109

New to HVAC/first proposal review

kevink109
12 years ago

Well spent a few hours on this forum trying to get ready for my first proposal for a new HVAC system. Really am trying to cover the basics, don't really want to become a HVAC expert if I don't have to.

The original system came with the house- 1991. The home is a two story 1200 sqft up and roughly 1400 sqft down. I am located outside of Sacramento Ca. Average summer temp is 91f, and winter low average is right around 39-40f. We can a few nights below 30 and more than a few days above 100.

The first contractor was my first choice for a few reasons- A+ BBB rating, strong recommendation for the work they did for a neighbor, and my cousin who works for a competitor said I should go with them- best price, best work.

So they actually sent a technician out for the "sales" call- he spent sometime going over the current set up, measured the ducting in the attic, etc, etc.

This took about 1.5 hours- then he did some air flow calcs- He said it wasn't a full manual calculation. We then talked about length of stay and SEER ratings etc. Our current system is 9 SEER, and he he gave me a rundown on a 13 SEER and 15 SEER system.

Basically he said staying in the 13-15 range was ideal for cost/benefit ratio.

So I got the paperwork for the proposal and here is the base system:

Condensor: 13AJM60A01

Furnace: RGPS10NBRJR

Coil: CE60A34

Equipment says Ruud.

The quote covers everything- permits, new pad, gas line, shut off, new pans, thermostat- no brand listed, also need new returns- putting in two new larger returns- plus additional ductwork.

They have impressive warranties- 2 year comfort money back guarantee, $500 frustration guarantee- if anything has to be repaired in the first 2 years- they pay you. etc.

So the total on this is $9163

So its hard to compare regions, but does this seem like a mid grade product at a fairly high price?

Also- the upgrade to 15 seer is just listed as a $2000 adder- no equipment listed.

What else should I be asking- or looking?

thanks Kevin

Comments (7)