SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

More trouble in our food supply chain?

annie1992
13 years ago

I just read this article, the Van Andel Institute is in Grand Rapids, so it's "local news" for me.

"One-quarter of U.S. meat and poultry is contaminated with drug-resistant bacteria, Van Andel Institute-affiliated TGen finds.

APA study of the nation's meat supply reveals some unappetizing results: Nearly a quarter of the meat and poultry sold at U.S. supermarkets is tainted with strains of drug-resistant bacteria.

That's according to research by the Translational Genomics Research Institute (TGen), a Phoenix-based organization that has been affiliated with Grand Rapids' Van Andel Institute since 2009.

Researchers tested 136 samples of beef, chicken and pork and turkey from five U.S. cities, sold under more than 80 separate brands. Nearly half the samples studied contained Staphylococcus aureus, which commonly causes staph infections in humans. Of those samples, more than half contained strains that were resistant to at least three types of antibiotics.

The report attributes this surprising level of contamination to "Densely-stocked industrial farms, where food animals are steadily fed low doses of antibiotics," which are "ideal breeding grounds for drug-resistant bacteria that move from animals to humans."

The government tests meat for four types of bacteria, but not the one researchers found. TGen's findings, published today in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases, argues for a more rigorous inspection process."

I've been a very vocal opponent of the "feed lot" type commercial farms, but this surprises even me. Half of the meat is contaminated with staph and half of that is antibiotic resistant?

So, how do we fix it? Is it contaminated at the packing plant or does it originate at the farm? I'm assuming the farm, because it came from different locations. Can we reduce that percentage? How much will it cost? How much will that make food prices rise? How many of us are willing to pay the extra? Sigh.

I don't know the answers to any of those questions but I can tell you that I'm going to the farm this weekend, I'm going to give every one of those six head of cattle a pat and an extra powdered sugar donut and tell them how much I appreciate them. Five of the six were born on the place, one I bought from a neighbor last year. None has ever had an iota of antibiotic because I haven't had a sick animal in longer than I can remember.

Annie

Comments (33)