SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmillow

Trane XL20i What is True vs BS?

mmillow
13 years ago

After getting a few quotes, another firm came by today and I told him that I wanted an Trane XL20i (5 ton) with a Trane XR 15 (2 ton variable speed) for my master bedroom and an additional room. (This equipment replaces same tonnage of other equipment that I have had for 11 years).

This gent who advised me that they sell more Trane than anyone else in THE WORLD, (this is South Florida), told me that the Trane XL20i because of its sophisticated electronics system is potentially an issue as many service companies do not have the properly trained staff to fix any problems. On top of this he said that the propensity for lightning in South Florida has been a problem to the low voltage system of this unit and as a result he suggests that I go with a Carrier system.

The 5 ton Trane XL20i pricing in South Florida has been great while Carrier has not been great. All I get with Carrier is a Comfort system (17 SEER) and it still costs more than the Trane system!

Is this guy telling the truth? He seemed to be quite more knowledgeable and even measured my return air in my large area to determine that the return was sized only for 3.5 tons instead of my existing 5 ton unit. (Claims I need a return size of 750 sq inches not my existing 516 sq inches.

He also include a #6 wire to the condenser where all the others did not even bring this up.

It seems to me like there is a lot of bs floating around in S FLA and I am now getting very confused.

Also how do I feel comfortable with a company and that I will get good installers and not get hit with hidden costs?

Also what is the opinion of ultraviolet systems-do they work? Some have been telling me that it's a waste and smoke and mirrors? and do they void Trane warranties?

Can somebody help me with all of the above?

Appreciate everyone's feedback. Thank you.

Mitchell

Comments (12)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES