SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmillow

Dual Stage vs Dual Compressor-Trane or AS or?

mmillow
13 years ago

We live in South Florida. I have to buy both a 2 ton and 5 ton unit to replace my 11-year old Rheem system (basic 12 SEER builder models). We were basically ok with the Rheem system(s) for the house other than that the 2 ton unit in our master bedroom was a little noisy and backed up from time to time.

I have excellent pricing (or so I think) with a choice of buying from a Trane vendor the Trane system noted below, or from an America Standard vendor an American Standard system as noted below: (In reality I would like to pay less for my 5 ton unit if there is a 16 or greater SEER system that is a dual stage single compressor system.

My criteria for selecting a system: Durability (long term), reliability and much lower electric bills.

These are the deals that I have:

If I go with American Standard - Allegiance 20 5 ton with Allegiance 16 2 ton with 5 year manufacturer labor warranty, price $ 7900. If I buy the 10 year manufacturer labor warranty then price jumps up to $8900 + permit.

If I go with Trane system : XL20i 5 ton with XR 15 2 ton Price $ 7900. With 10 year local company (35 years in business) labor warranty $ 400 additional per unit so total is $ 8700. (I know that the XR 15 is just a single stage vs a dual stage system of Allegiance 16).

Other Questions: What can I roughly expect in terms of FPL (electric company) monthly cost savings to go dual stage vs single stage for a 2 ton unit cooling say 800-900 square feet?

Is there a 2 stage 1 compressor 5 ton unit that fits my criteria that is much cheaper?I am getting a 5 ton Trane XL 20 or a American Standard Allegiance 20 for roughly $ 4900 which I think is a great deal. And if there is a great unit out there that is much cheaper if a dual stage single compressor unit pretty comparable to a dual compressor unit, do all dual stage units have an electronics system built in or not and if not who makes a good and much cheaper unit that is durable and reliable for S FLA?

DonÂt the electronics on the XL20 and Allegiance 20 make the system less reliable and harder to fix and are there fewer technicians that will know how to fix the system?

And if at the end of the day, if I stayed with the above American Standard choice or Trane which one and why?

Would love to hear your opinionsÂ

Thanks

Comments (3)