SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnycottage_gw

What do I do? Attempted break-in ...

SunnyCottage
11 years ago

DH has been doing yard work today. He texted me to say he just got finished taping up a broken window pane in our dining room, and saw evidence of tool marks near the latch, where someone tried to pry the window open from outside. Whoever did this had to either come blatantly through our back gate, or else hop the 6' fence from our neighbor's side. (Our neighbor has basically abandoned his house - nobody has lived there for about a year. That's another story ...) DH said that one day last week he noticed the cats watching the dining room window very intently and in a somewhat spooked manner. He thought there must have been a squirrel or possibly another cat outside - but now he thinks that was when the attempted break-in occurred. In broad daylight, and he was at home!

We live in a semi-urban neighborhood, and have a volunteer neighborhood patrol officer. We receive a monthly neighborhood newsletter that details crime in our area - there is almost always at least one burglary (often tools from an open garage or items from an unlocked vehicle). I guess I should alert the patrol that this happened, but beyond that - what else? Do I call the police? (DH thinks we should.)

I'm spooked. We do have a monitored alarm system, and now I feel like I want to have it on all the time, even when we're in the house.

I guess we need to call the insurance company about the broken window pane, right?

What would you do?

Comments (27)