SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
max566

York Heat Pump

max566
13 years ago

The compressor on my 13 year old Trane heat pump has gone out. I have been advised that I cannot get a replacement compressor due to the mandate on the R-22 refrigerant and therefore the whole system must be replaced ( in / outdoor units).

I live near Seattle WA - moderate temps. House is 4200 sq. ft. very efficient with 6 inch walls, well insulated, triple pane windows. The house is considered a daylight rambler so 'basement (fully finished)is actually partially underground and we spend 95 % of our time on the main floor.

The old unit was a 5 ton Trane which had annual problems but worked just fine in heating and cooling the house.

I have had system estimates ranging from over $22k to $13k.

All but one contractor said I could replace with a 4 ton unit.

2 did load calculations - all did pretty thorough inspection / review of house , windows, return etc.

I have a total of 19 registers . 10 of which are upstairs.

The systems I am considering are Trane, Carrier and York.

The best contractor seems to be the York guys.

They want to install a LX series 4 ton outside unit and a 5 ton single sped motor air blower .

It has difficult finding match-up to meet the SSER , EER, HSPF ratings fro Fed Tax Credit.

It seems very hard to compare apples to apples on quotes as no dealer carries the same equipment. Virtually every blog / review on various brands says they all have major problems.

I was originally quoted a variable speed motor ( which I wanted) , bu they say they cannot find a indoor unit with variable speed motor that will match up with the outdoor unit to get to the required 15 SEER - The York outdoor unit is 14.5 but 'supposedly' combined with certain indoor units takes it up to the 15 SEER rating for tax credit.

Any help , comments, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (8)