SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harrietv_gw

Adding AC to home..Electrical adequacy question

harrietv
14 years ago

We live in Los Angeles ...1800 sq ft home built in 1947.

Last year our gas furnace died and we replaced it with York 4 ton 2 stage . At that time we wanted to add AC as well, but had to settle on just installing AC coil to the new furnace . ( My electrician informed me that my electric fuse breaker box did not have room to add the 40 Amp needed to run AC. On his advice, the Citys DWP Meter expert came out to my home and told me I had to MOVE the entire box to another location which would have entailed putting electric wires underground , breaking apart my cement patio...Very costly project.We did not add the AC.

Now with summer approaching, I called my furnace man back to see about installing AC...He removed panel on Electrical box and declared he could make room for the 40Amp breaker by way of " piggybacking" a couple of swithes.

MY CONCERN: #1. After he would do installation, permit people may deny permit because of his adjustments to the electric box

and I will be faced with that big expensive upgrade.

#2 I am worried about electrical shorts..possible electrical fire...and worst case scenario...my homeowners insurance denying covering any damages due to the manipulation of fuse box.

P.S. I have 225 amp main line power to my home ( if that info helps )

HOW CAN I get reassurance? Are my fears are unlikely to occur or are my fears warranted?

Is there some homework I am overlooking before I proceed?

Any input from you guys would be much appreciated.

Comments (4)