SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bobby1960_gw

1900 farm house....

Bobby1960
9 years ago

We just purchased a 1900 farm house on 38 acres in Lynchburg TN. It has been a dream of my wives to fully restore and old home. The electrical, plumbing, and hvac has been added through a couple of renovations through the years. The home has a crawl space that at the front of the home is approx. 4' below grade and at the back of the home is 0 grade. The sq ft of the home is 3500.

We moved about 6 wks ago, we have had a new metal roof installed with gutters, had tech-shield decking installed under roofing. Installed Pella 250 energy efficient windows to be completed tomorrow.

My question is about insulation and the best place to start for the money. The first week we were here the lows in the morning 15-18 degrees and highs were in the high 30's. The heat system is propane powered central heat and within the first 15 days we had used about $600 of propane. The attic space has little to no insulation and the crawl space is no different.

I know the roof and windows will have a nice impact on the propane bill, however, i'm getting mixed suggestions on where to start with the insulation. Please help.

Comments (5)