SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyart_gw

Jenny Craig vs Nutrisystems

funkyart
14 years ago

My sister and I are both struggling to lose weight-- I have much more to lose than she does. We both love healthy food-- and even prefer it-- but our demanding, high stress jobs and schedules make it difficult to do the shopping/cooking required to be effective. Much as I hate to admit it-- at least for now, the best solution is to go the route of one of the prepared meal programs. I am not overly confident that it is a good long term solution as I hate frozen meals in general. But my two biggest issues are eating regularly (I often have just one meal a day-- which is killer to my metabolism) and when I do eat, eating what I can pick up quickly. I am hoping that a prepared meal program will help me get over the hump and back on a regular eating schedule and hopefully in a month or two my schedule will be less insane and allow me to take back control of my diet.

So all that is to say, I know how to eat and how to approach dieting and healthy eating/cooking. I have MANY amazing low calorie, high health recipes. What I am seeking input and experience with right now are these two programs-- nutrisystem and jenny craig. Given how picky I am about food, my first glance reaction is that JC offers the best selection and most interesting options. My sister did nutrisystems a few years ago and said some foods are really good and some are really bad... of course, I assume that is a matter of taste.

Have you done one or the other? Were they effective in jump starting your weight loss? Did you like the food? Was it worth the expense?

Comments (37)

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

I don't know if this is available in your area, but what about Seattle Sutton? It looks like they do have some frozen items, but also inc. fresh as much as possible.

Here is a link that might be useful: SS

• yborgal
    14 years ago

Have you looked into OurLife Fresh? That's the prepared food diet that Ruby is using on her weight loss program. She's the big girl in Savannah featured on her own reality show.

• Related Discussions

which diet? Jenny, Medifast, NutriSystem, ect...

Q

Comments (13)
    I have listened to people for years talk about the fact that Weight Watchers is real food that you buy and cook at home, because many of the people I use to go to church with have found it to be the most consistent. I have worked with the diabetics association diets in my profession and know they are well balanced meals/snacks and their menus are available at the library so you don't have to sign-up for the constant advertisements. Balance the two diet menus and you should be able to work out something that will work for the fussy-eater part of you. Most importantly is keep posting here where you can get support because that's what determines, most of the time, whether or not a dieter is successful--SUPPORT! Since you quit smoking you know you've got the will-power (AKA self discipline) and perseverance to lose the weight. Congratulations! now you only have to add water and exercise and you are on your way. We look forward to hearing about your successes and your slips, because none of US are perfect at this so you can't be either. (lots of smiles)
    ...See More

back fat and bra overhang - yuck! how do you get rid of it?

Q

Comments (26)
    im way late for this but if someone finds this by looking on google like i did i hope this is helpful i am 25 an weight 238 im not trying to advertize a dit pill or any thing just want to share my experiance i am on the generic form of adapex an it has help alot i was 250 i lost 6 pounds in 7 days my problem is not eating people often say oh push away from the table but thats not my reason for being over weight i just eat at the wrong times an i have no energy for excrise because lets face it if ur at my wight walking up the stairs is a chore its tireing but with adapex it has made everything so much easier it makes u have engery so u can work out its RX only diet pill if ur on medicade it does not pay for it but the generic is $30 an the adapex is $50 a month now take in mind u can lose weight with it an not exceerise but i would not recomend it for people like me cause we have to tone the fat an if you do go get on it make sure u drink alot of water i cant drink soda or tea or anything on it i crave water an i think that helps alot i feel dydrated if i dont sooo good luck to anyone that reads this I hope if you do try it u get the same results as i am!!!! =)
    ...See More

Those NutriSystem commercials are killing me!

Q

Comments (17)
    Oh, I agree. Every time you change channels you have to adjust the sound. When I watch "The Young and the Restless almost everyone mumbles or talks very low and then the commercials BLAST you out of your chair. I like to tape some shows so I can FF through the commercials. The NutriSystem peopole all look great too after loosing weight, especially Marie, but that food they show does not look appealing to me. Has anyone ever tried it? Billy Mayes has the worst voice. It's too high pitched, not to mention loud. The one for denture Sea bond stuff makes me ill when that man grimaces and I have to change the channel before I see him. Here is a link that might be useful: Sea Bond
    ...See More

Oprah. For Weight Watchers.

Q

Comments (50)
    I wish just once I could experience that dieter's "high". Seriously. I just recently came off a 3.5 year quest for weight loss and extreme fitness. During this time, I trained for and completed a 5-day bicycle trip averaging 100 miles per day, a half-marathon (I don't like running so not doing a marathon), and a summit attempt on Mt. Rainier. OK, didn't summit, long story, but made it a good way up. All of these activities required a LOT of exercise including both strength (heavy free weights), aerobic fitness, a strong core, etc. A typical week included a minimum of 15 hours of exercising to a maximum of about 30 hours, depending on how long my hikes/bikes were. I also had 70# to lose. Less weight is certainly easier to carry both on a bike and up steep mountains. Especially when you're also hauling gear. I did Weight Watchers and, after 4 months of diligence, including weighing everything and inputting it into MyFitnessPal so I was tracking calories, nutrients and points, and lost a total of 4#. I then tried a series of other plans averaging about 3 months on each plan to give it a fair go prior to switching it up. These plans including the Fuhrman Eat to Live, The Leptin, 5:2, Durkan, just plain eating low-fat vegetarian/sometimes vegan meals, green smoothie fasts, low carb. You name it, I think I tried it. I felt great and could have probably done an Iron Woman competition at the fitness level I had attained. Oh, I would have been in last place but I think I could have completed one. And my attention to my diet's nutritional components also made me feel great. At the end of these 3.5 years of extreme effort and meticulousness, I lost a grand total of 15#. Before you say that I built a lot of muscle which weighs more so I must have lost a lot of inches. Well, I went down a pant size. So, no, not a big inch loss. I took a break and am having a hard time getting back on track. I miss being as fit as I was and I feel myself getting weaker and losing endurance and that bugs me a lot but that much exercise just isn't sustainable for me right now. I have too many other obligations that I was neglecting in order to work out that much. And since I worked that hard and didn't achieve my weight loss goal, I just don't know what I can do to lose the weight I still need to lose. I really don't. And it's difficult to muster the commitment to try again when nothing worked before. And, yes, I have had medical tests run. While my thyroid is on the slow side of normal, it's still in normal ranges. Consequently, everybody seems to think I'm lying about what I'm eating. Heck, I went to weighing food with a digital scale because it's more accurate than measuring spoons/cups. I'm not fudging my intake. And I don't even understand how some people can eat so much. When I eat in restaurants, a fairly rare event, I typically take half of it home for another meal later because I'm stuffed just eating the first half. Even when I was gaining, it was thus. Frustrating. Those of you who have had success, great. But don't presume that what you did works for everybody.
    ...See More
  • jlc712
    14 years ago

I have debated trying one of those programs for a long time. I have all the same problems with busy schedule etc. My fear is that I would eat the frozen meals, not like them or still be hungry, and then eat more regular food :)
    I am eager to hear everyone's experiences...
    Jen

• funkyart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jen, I am totally with you. I am a fairly picky eater If it tastes like crap, I won't eat it. I am pretty worried about that. I am also pretty disappointed in myself. Surely I should be able to stock up and make sure I do have healthy, quick foods to make.. but I'll be honest, I keep throwing away fresh produce because I don't use it fast enough. If I make time to shop, then I don't have time to cook. If I have time (and motivation) to cook, I don't have anything in the fridge. It's wasteful and ridiculous.

Thanks Anele and Mona. I will check out the plans you recommended.

• CaroleOH
    14 years ago

I had a friend who did Jenny Craig, and she liked the food pretty well. She lost 30 pounds,and looked really great, but honestly, she gained it all back once she went off the program.

The keys for success in that program is food choice and portion control. Once she was on her own again, I think it was more the portion control. It's easy to eat too much of something even if its a healthy choice - it's still too many calories.

My problem, and I struggle with needing to lose 30 pounds, is I like to eat until I feel really full! It's something I haven't figured out how to get around. Most people don't like that "full" feeling. For me, it's a feeling of comfort.

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

caroleoh, I struggle with that full feeling as well, because I need it. I have to eat very frequently, about every 2-3 hours. I remember when versions of food with no fat (like cheese) came out . . .they were terrible for me. Now I actively seek out foods high in fat and protein, as they are far more satisfying.

My advice re: eating for your correct weight for your body is:
    -eat what you want
    -eat frequently
    -aim for variety, but make it good (meaning, eat veggies, but eat them with butter!)
    -when you eat, do nothing but eat (don't read, use the computer, talk about something stressful, etc.)
    -eat until you are comfortable, but not stuffed

I just saw that Julie/Julia movie. Julia Child practically lived on butter, and she and her DH lived into their 90s. Makes ya wonder!

• parma42
    14 years ago

I'm in the same boat as caroleoh and anele. I like to feel full and I hate the artificially low-fat food (cheese, etc).

While I only have about 7-8 lbs to lose, those are the hardest at my age. I'm not overweight, but I want my old clothes to fit better. I do much better when DH is out of town, as I eat later and try not to have mega-caloric desserts (our downfall).

I would try to figure out what foods are causing the weight and find some substitutes. My nibbles of choice are sesame breadsticks, grapes (lots of water weight), popcorn with a bit of butter. Lean proteins, actually protein of any kind, are more filling than anything else. Whole grain English muffins with some peanut butter would be a good way to start, or end, the day. Before I'd spend big bucks on some cr*ppy tasting diet foods, I'd check out your grocery's gourmet or to-go sections. Rotisserie chicken (just a bit of skin), shrimp, salad bar...all those things taste good so you don't feel cheated.

Find a low cal salad dressing that actually tastes good. My favorites are in the refrigerated section, blue cheese, honey mustard and Vidalia onion. Throw your take home salad in a bigger bowl and add the dressing. Toss and the dressing will cling to the salad but half of it will stay on the sides of the bowl (and out of your stomach).

Low fat desserts don't cut it with me, either. A Dove bar, at 240 calories, is much more satisfying to me than a big chunk of angelfood cake. I call them my diet food because the alternative is chocolate cake with chocolate ganache and Haagen-dazs Belgium dark chocolate (see a trend there?).

Good luck!

• idie2live
    14 years ago

Funkyart, me and 2 of my friends went together and bought a month's supply of Nutrisystems food to see if we liked it. (This was about 3 years ago). Some of the food was fine, but I recall that a lot of it was rather bland. The desserts they talk about was lots of puddings and flavored drinks, etc. The biggest complaint I had was that you still have to add fresh veggies. Well, if I have to prepare veggies, (which is where I fail in my daily meals) then how hard is it to grill a piece of chicken?
    So my friends and I all had the same opinion - this program did not help us with our biggest problem (we were not getting enough veggies).
    They had a large selection but I am a picky eater also. And no, I was not committed enough to lose weight and my doctor tells me every visit that I need to lose 10 lbs.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have learned a few tricks over the years to help give you that "full and satisfied" feeling. I absolutely agree with Anele about going for protein. I have also found that many of the low fat and low sugar items make me eat MORE. SF jello and crystal light both really make me crazy "hungry".

A few other tricks -
    - add some (tasteless) benefiber to a drink 15-20 min before a meal.

- Use high fiber whole grains instead of white bread, white rice and semolina pasta. I really love the flavor and textures of whole grains.

- Incorporate beans into your meals-- to replace meat or to extend it. They are an excellent source of fiber and nutrients.

- Add an acid to your meals- it will slow digestion. Oil and vinegar dressing on a salad, lemon in your water. A little fat does the same-cheese, peanut butter, butter, olive oil, avocado. It doesnt have to be heavy fat or bad fat.

I am REALLY guilty of doing other things when I eat. I should break that pattern too. I eat at my desk at work and I eat at the computer or tv at home. That is more motivation to redo my dining room.

I am sitting here reminded of the fact that I DO know how to lose weight. I also know my body and know what I need to do -- Jenny Craig is an "easy" way out.

Is the easy way out--is it copping out or is it a practical way to get me started amid a busy schedule? I need to figure this out.

• Oakley
    14 years ago

Anele, we are big butter fans too. Most of the elderly people I know grew up on butter. It's all about how much of it you eat.

The best and fastest way to lose weight is to pretend your a diabetic. When my dh was first diagnosed (and he has an athletic build, go figure) I ate what he did and dropped 3 pounds the first week. Then I started eating what I wanted to eat.

I became a diabetic myself in January and I lost 45 pounds in 6 months. And I eat until I'm FULL, especially at night!

However, I've heard that the med I'm on can cause weight loss, so that may contribute to it. Getting diabetes was the best gift!

I used to drink a pop everyday, and I haven't had one since Jan., and I only drink diet pop and diet Koolaid and I can't tell the difference anymore. I used to LOATHE anything diet! I've got some Sugar Free hot fudge sauce calling for me tonight with my no sugar added vanilla ice cream. :)

• tinam61
    14 years ago

Funky - you just said you KNOW how to lose weight. You gave some good points - fiber and protein are important. You are so right about the sugar free and fat free stuff. They are not all good for you. I've been hearing where some of the sugar free stuff can actually increase a man's risk for prostrate cancer. Of course there have been risks and stories about artificial sweeteners for years.

It's not about how fast you lose the weight as someone mentioned. Keeping it off is the trick. Most doctors will recommend weight watchers. You eat real food and you learn a new way of life. Not a diet. Most doctors will tell you it is not good to lose too fast. Slow and steady you will be better apt to keep it off.

Would you be able to do food prep at a certain time - say like weekends? Chop veggies, cook/freeze items? I am not a fan of many convenience foods, prefer to cook from scratch, fresh items, etc. but there are times when my schedule does not allow it. I try to keep things in the freezer and do some of my prep work ahead. We almost always have chopped veggies in the fridge. Things like that.

It's hard, whatever you do. I really think losing and keeping weight off is one of the hardest things to do. Good luck to you Funky and let us know what you end up doing!

tina

• funkyart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tina,

You are so right. I am not looking to lose weight quickly (much as I would love that). I am looking for a quick way to get back on track and to break my habits/routine. I don't want to get too off topic, but I have big changes going on at work that will make it difficult for me to carve out more time for shopping, prep and cooking-- even on weekends. That said, I know that my real problem is that I am not making my health a priority. I think nothing of spending an extra hour or five to get something out for a client but I am not willing to spend an hour to make/freeze a pot of soup or run to the market.

As for prepared foods, I do buy them but I lean more towards the prepared foods at the farmer's market or in the deli. Herbed tuna salad, balsamic chicken, broccoli salad, chickpea salad. I can't control what is going into them, but I am sure they are better than a frozen meal. They definitely taste better.

I have been looking at the ingredients and nutritional value of the JC and Nutrisystems meals. I can definitely do better. Weekends are still very busy for me but I can surely make time to do one meal to freeze a week. It's a start at least. If I combine that will a few other tricks-- buying the expensive but convenient prepackaged fresh grapefruit cups, apples, cut veggies, etc. I can make sure that I eat throughout the day. I can keep a loaf of sprouted wheat bread and hummus or even peanut butter and be sure I get *something* in the middle of the day. I think I just need to be creative and I need to make myself a priority.

I do have many great healthy recipes but not many of them are particularly quick to prepare. I am going to visit the eating well site-- I know they have some quick recipes. I will probably post a new thread to share ideas with all of you too. I feel much better about doing this myself-- I still worry that I will struggle with the time investment and give up but I am just not feeling good about paying a service to send me food that is not as healthy as I can make and surely not as tasty.

Thanks again everyone-- I really needed to talk this through "aloud". I do think my sister will still go the nutrisystems route but she has only a few pounds to lose. I will talk to her about maybe doing some meal sharing through. If we both cook one big meal a week and swap then we'll both have two fresh meals.

• golddust
    14 years ago

My Dh was borderline diabetic but we brought his numbers back down to normal with whole grains, low carbs, good carbs, exercise. His Dr will not allow him to eat or drink *anything* that ends in ose.

Apparently there is lots of concern with fake (diet) sweeteners. The Dr explained they are worse than real sugar. In fact they are studying the fact that diabetes sharply increased with the introduction of diet sweeteners. There is some evidence that suggests your body can't process them like real sugar. DHs Dr totally subscribes to this notion. We followed his advice and brought DHs sugar levels back to normal but we struggle to keep them there.

Exercise is a big factor with DH. His treadmill was worth every penny but changing our diet was the largest factor.

I'm not a comfort eater and I fear being overweight. LOL! I was on medication for 6 months that required me to eat a high fat diet. I gained 10 pounds. As soon as the meds were done, I lost the weight in a couple months. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to lose it (at age 52) but I did.

My SIL loved Jenny Craig. She really liked the food. She lost 40 pounds and has managed to keep it off for three years, so far. It is possible.

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

Thanks to those who mentioned fake sweeteners. We buy sugar-free lemonade because I am worried about sugary drinks for my children's teeth. They drink water and milk more than lemonade, but maybe I should cut it out completely.

• oceanna
    14 years ago

Oakley, do you have any good online resources to make diabetic dieting easier?

• tinam61
    14 years ago

Funky - you can do it! You'll be an inspiration for the rest of us. I'm looking forward to your new thread. Keep us updated - we'll go through this with you!

I'd love to chat with you more about this if you want to email me. Best of luck!!

tina

And Goldie (hope you don't mind my pet name for you LOL) - sounds like you have really done a great job with your husband's food and his sugar levels. You are right - exercise is key. It's hard for me to make myself remember that. It's not just about losing the weight - it's about being healthy. Kudos to you!

• kimberlyrkb
    14 years ago

My husband tried Nutrisystem earlier this year. I thought the food smelled and tasted terrible! I wasn't super impressed with the nutritional value, either (lots of sodium). Also, a few weeks into it, he started experiencing "intestinal distress" - primarily cramps and unusual, terrible flatulence. He ended up selling the rest of the food on craigslist.

I think if you google "Nutrisystem side effects," you'll learn a lot!

For myself, I have found that portion control is key. I try to make as much food in advance as I can, then portion things up individually and freeze. So for work lunches, I can pull out a small bowl of soup or a square of lasagna. Also, we don't buy junk. If it's not in the house, I can't eat it.

Good luck with whatever you try!

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

The basis of any diet is calorie restriction. I have been successful using the Lean Cuisine type meals for portion control along with fresh fruits and veggies. I don't think it's necessary to spring for the Nutrisystem or Jennie Craig foods when there are so many options at the grocery store.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This thread has gone off in lots of directions LOL. I am going to respond to a few.

Oakley & Golddust - personnally, I think the principles of the diabetic diet are great for all of us to live on-- especially the concept of building a diet around low GI (glycemic index) carbs. I don't believe in all the sugar free products as a way of life--but there's a time and place for them. I do drink diet sodas and use splenda for some things. I do appreciate that you lost a lot of weight, Oakley, congrats. Metaformin is known to help with that but I am sure your dietary changes helped too. Still, I would never say that diabetes is gift.

Anele - I won't say that I don't use artificial sweeteners but I do try to limit my use of them. Many of the SF items are actually sweeter than their sugar counterparts and I think create a taste for the super sweet. I have been using stevia (an herb) in my tea for years-- I have noticed that it is starting to hit mainstream and is now available on grocery store shelves. I really like it but you have to be careful as it is also very sweet. A tiny amount is plenty for me. I am sure it is a long time before we will see stevia in drink mixes or sodas but it is great for lemonade if you make your own.

Tinam - I'd be happy to talk to you in email-- but your email isnt posted. Mine is in my profile.

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

funkyart: Thanks for the tip on the sweetener! We only buy the lemonade (it's generic Crystal Light) that's already sweetened (for everything else, like homemade desserts, I use real sugar). Interesting, though about creating a taste for super sweet. Also interesting that you said it made you even hungrier. Hmmm!

This is yet another direction of this thread (LOL!) but I think it is, for me, the worst thing in the world to use "restrict" and "food" in the same sentence. For example, with my children, I do not discuss limiting sweets very often with them. They get dessert regularly and are pretty much always happy/satisfied with that. It rarely makes them want more.

I think, when you approach eating, the best way to look at it is to think, "What can I ADD to what I eat?" In other words, can you try some new fruit or veggie, or prepare in a new way? How about a new protein source?

Another thing I have discussed with my children, but I think it is helpful for anyway, is what I call the Rainbow Diet.

We have one of these:
    {{gwi:1521127}}
    and we've used it to discuss how it is important to eat food of all of these colors (Fruit Loops don't count, though we eat those, too!) as often as possible. I think it's an easy way to mentally check off how varied your diet is.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

I like the Healthy Choice Complete Meals - I look for the ones that have the highest amount of protein.

Here is a link that might be useful: Healthy Choice Complete Meals

• funkyart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I wasnt so much looking for frozen meals as a meal system. For the most part, I don't think the lean frozen meals are all that healthy-- and definitely not satisfying. I was a little more impressed with the Healthy Choice Complete Meals specs-- they at least have more fiber than the lean cuisines. One line I DO like and tend to keep in the freezer is Kashi. I really like a couple of their flavors and they are full of fiber and healthy, mineral rich grains. Another plus is that their chicken has the texture of chicken.

I guess I have abandoned the idea of one of the meal programs though. The discussion here made me realize it is not what I am looking for and not something I would be happy with.

I need to come up with a plan for quick and easy meals and snacks. It will require prep and planning that I havent been making time for.

Anele - what a great way to introduce your kids to the basics of healthy eating! I love it. I also think you made an excellent point about ADDING to our diets. I have really cut back on the veggies in the last few years-- much as I love them, I am buying less and less because I don't go through them quickly enough and all too often they rot in the fridge. Icky-- and what a ridiculous waste. I love veggies and definitely need to focus on making them central to my meals again.

Thanks, again, everyone!

• graywings123
    14 years ago

I like the Kashi frozen meals too.

Do you have a Foodsaver machine? A Foodsaver will extend the refrigerator life of vegetables.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Graywings-- have you tried any of the newest Kashi meals? I loved the rosemary lemon chicken but it was discontinued. Also like the southwestern chicken. I absolutely could not eat one of the italian flavors--chicken florentine maybe? A friend recommended the lemongrass coconut. I'd love to hear which you like.

I don't have a foodsaver but I could get one. Can you put fresh veggies in the bags? I have used a little ball that would extend the life of veggies and fruits. I need to pick one up again.

It just keeps coming around to the need for me to make my diet/health a priority. I did break away from work today to run to the health food store (for a shelf life extending ball among other things) but it was closed argggh. I won't likely be able to get there again until next weekend.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I don't know how healthy they are as they are processed, but I like Bocca burgers wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla. I add a romaine leaf and some mayo, maybe tomato and they are really good for lunch. The frozen Bocca burgers only need 2 minutes or less in the microwave.

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

Some more tips from me. I can never count on a time to make food, since one of my children might be having a meltdown when I am about to cook, or something like that.

Two things that help:
    (1) A simple menu, made 1 week at a time. (I used to make it for 2 weeks but it took forever!) Make your shopping list directly from the menu.
    (2) A regularly-scheduled weekly shopping trip. When I don't go shopping regularly, then either I scramble for food or waste money on eating out, making multiple little trips, etc. I go early on a Sat. or Sun. and avoid crowds.

My menu is somewhat tricky to make since I'm the only vegetarian in the family. But, it will include things for a meal that I can add meat to like:
    (1) Quiche and soup. You could make the quiche from scratch and use a pre-made soup . . .and then take leftovers for lunch. If you want veggies, I love quiche made with spinach and feta cheese. (Great recipe in that book I suggested in the other thread!)
    (2) Pasta night. This has endless variations-- from simple rottini with a creamy vodka sauce (sauce takes about 10-15 minutes to make; recipe is also in the book I suggested) . . .you can throw peas into the sauce + a salad, to a more labor-intensive dish like lasagna. You can use whole-grain pasta, OR something like "Ronzoni" which has extra fiber and calcium, but tastes like regular pasta.
    (3) Think international . . .a favorite meal around here is one with couscous (boxed, takes 5 minutes . . .whole grain available, but not as good, IMO!), falafel (again, a boxed mix I use), hummus (purchased), pita (purchased-- you can get whole grain, too), & various veggies cut up to stuff the pita with. I make whatever meat/poultry for those who want it, too. While most items are pre-packaged for this particular meal (so it just requires assembly), they aren't full of junk.

Don't worry about going to a health store . . .if you make this too hard, you may get frustrated. Just try focusing doing most of your shopping around the perimeter of your regular grocery store, and you will find that you are purchasing mostly whole foods that way.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Anele.. love your ideas and I could just hug you LOL. I don't know what it is but I had completely lost memory of what and how I used to cook. We have similar tastes. I love quiche and it is so easy to make. I also used to make omelets for dinner-- asparagus or herbs and cheese are my favorites. A salad and an omelet is heaven for me.

Another absolute favorite meal is couscous and grilled veggies. Sometimes I will add scallops or chicken but I am perfectly content with just the couscous and veggies. I also like the near east grain mixes-- prepackaged but a heck of a lot better than mac and cheese or other types of boxed mixes.

I actually go to the health food store almost as often as I go to the grocery store-- admittedly, that isnt all that regular. I actually prefer whole grains and a special "slow rise" sprouted wheat bread I get at the health food store. My grocery store now carries a lot of the brands I buy at the health food store but too often the grocery store is sensory overload for me.

I do agree that if this becomes too hard it won't work. It's almost 11:30 on a holiday and I am sitting here working. I'll be back up and working at 6am.. and the rest of the week will go much the same. Your ideas helped-- and they have me thinking in my old ways again.

Now I am thinking about breakfasts-- always a challenge for me because I am very lactose intolerant. No yogurt, no milk and I can't stomach silk/soy milk. I used to make a hearty oatmeal or (believe it or not) bean soup. I also like peanut butter toast with grapefruit.

Breakfasts and lunches and little healthy snacks will be the hardest. Like you have little kids having meltdowns, I have staff, clients and projects that have meltdowns LOL. I have an hour commute each way and a very unpredictable day. That said, others take lunch. I just need to break my patterns and break up my day. Your encouragement helps with that. I'll hear you all in my head each day :)

• tinam61
    14 years ago

I strongly agree with Anele's two points. I always have (at least in my mind) dinners for the coming week. I, too, do a weekly shopping trip - with those menus in mind. I often supplement that with a weekly trip to the little produce market nearby. While we had a small garden this year, there were things we didn't grow (green beans, okra and corn for instance), and I will stop and purchase those items.

I love veggies and am happy with meat just occasionally.

Breakfast is a big challenge for me too. I have a hard time reminding myself of healthy (quick) breakfasts. I have been keeping a box of cheerios and skim milk at work for breakfasts the days I work. Today I brought homemade egg salad and had that. Bean soup is fine - eat what you like! Peanut butter toast sounds good - I need to remember that.

This has been a very helpful thread!

tina

• graywings123
    14 years ago

Funkyart - The Foodsaver machines come with plastic cannisters that are good for storing vegetables. And you can buy additional cannisters separately.

I was on a blueberry kick for a while and you know how quickly berries go bad. A foodsaver will double or triple the time they are fresh. You need a large cannister for lettuce. I used a pint sized one for berries.

Here is a link that might be useful: Foodsaver cannister

• funkyart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Graywings - oh my LOL. I was confusing foodsaver with seal a meal. I just threw out a container of fuzzy blackberries-- so much waste. I am ashamed. I am going to check them out.

Tinam & Anele - I balk at planning meals for the week but I wonder if that is part of the key to success? My schedule is so unpredictable-- Some days I work at home but never the days I plan to. Some days I plan to be home at 6 but I don't break away until 9pm. (ok, that one is many days). I think it is worth giving a try though-- because without a plan, I end up having a cheese sandwich, tuna melt or pizza most nights.

One of the things I really want to do is to break my dependency on bread. I don't believe carbs are evil-- and I am pretty vigilant about eating only "good carbs" i.e. high fiber whole grain bread but even still, it is my quick go-to meal maker. I am sure that has been part of the reason I have been slowly adding on weight. I need to return to more meals in a bowl.. a salad, a bowl of soup, tuna salad with veggies instead of on bread (with cheese LOL) or with a stack of crackers.

I am reminded of Anele's rainbow. I'd say more than half my intake is of the brown/white category-- bread, crackers, pita, tuna, mayo and cheese. I know better.

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

I know, meal planning IS a pain. But, it will be worth it-- make your menu as fast as possible. Start out with things you love and are comfortable making, and then every few weeks throw in a new recipe. I get overwhelmed at the grocery store, too, but when I go early (when I'm not tired and it isn't crowded) AND play "beat the clock" (I try to be completely done within an hour) it isn't so bad.

As for lunch, just take your leftovers when possible. That way, you are really only cooking once for two meals. Breakfast can be ANYTHING, even pizza. What I find helps a lot in any meal, but esp. breakfast, is that I must have fat. So, a bagel won't do, but a bagel + PB (or any nut butter) works well. Ditto for something like a pita . . .a plain pita leaves me famished, but if I add hummus, it helps.

IMO, all your white/brown category foods are just fine . . .be sure to eat them with FAT and fruits/veggies when possible. For example, one way to fatten up soup (but ease up on dairy) is to add coconut milk. If I don't have some fat in soup, I am starving!

I hope you do start taking lunch AND allow yourself even 5 minutes every few hours for snacks-- a snack could be as simple as apple and cheese (remember, eat fat regularly!). Most people I know who have gained weight over the years do so not because of overeating, but in fact, because they eat infrequently.

Oh, and don't forget the dessert! I am a big believer in eating some dessert daily!

Your schedule sounds really, really stressful. One thing I've heard and believe to be true is that when you are under stress and don't get enough sleep, it is easier for you to gain weight. Is there anyway to build some relaxing routines into your life? (Hahaha, easier said than done, I know!)

Many hugs . . .hope today is somehow an easy day!

• tinam61
    14 years ago

Another good point! LEFTOVERS. Since it's just the two of us, we almost always have leftovers. It comes in great for my lunch or for a second dinner. Something else I will do is purposely prepare more than we will eat and freeze part of it.

Funky - I do the rinsing of the ground beef too! As for ground turkey, I absolutely cannot stand it! The odor of it cooking just turns me against it. I can eat it if someone else cooks it and not even tell the difference, but I cannot eat it if I cook it. Crazy I know!

tina (who keeps coming back to this thread!)

• funkyart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I feel like I am here whining about my schedule and stress. I know we ALL have both. I know it is a matter of changing my patterns and most importantly, making time to get to the store. I have grown to abhor the grocery store and I argue with myself as I pass the store on my way home--"you really need to stop at the store" "noooo, I can't take it today-- I'll make do with what I have" "you have nothing fresh" "I'll get a pizza"

I am glad you mentioned fats. I definitely find it helps to combine fats with carbs-- and I try to make sure that i always have fruit and bread products with a protein or a fat-- preferably both. I add a small dollop of butter and nuts to my oatmeal-- toast with peanut butter or cheese-- fruit with cheese. As I say that, though, i am sitting here eating a clementine with nothing else-- and it is the first thing I have eaten all day. :( Baby steps though. When I can take a little longer break, I will make a can of soup.

Anele, I definitely know that my poor sleep habits and the stress work against me... as does my age. My metabolism was always slow and I made it worse by fasting in my teens and twenties-- I am also much less active than i was. Again, I won't sit here and tell you that I never overeat or never indulge in high caloric foods-- but that is the exception. I am one of those people who HAS to constantly work at sparking my metabolism. I won't argue with those who insist it is all about calories in and calories burned because there is a lot of validity in it-- but it is not the only factor. It isnt simple math. This is why I am trying to break my lazy patterns. When I eat 5 times a day I not only spark my metabolism, I don't need to worry about portion control. It takes care of itself.

My sister is still going to do the nutrisystem plan. It worked for her before and she doesnt have as much to lose. She needs a kick start-- I need to change patterns.

Thanks again-- and I am going to pull out my can of coconut milk! I love thai food but I have never made a thai soup-- I think it is about time I try one!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

geez.. i feel bad that I keep adding long posts. I half heartedly apologize. It is helpful for me to "talk" about this and think aloud. It is even more helpful to read everyone's ideas and experiences.

Tina-- I hear you on the smell of cooking turkey. I actually have a hard time with the smell of all raw meat. What does help me is to load up the pan with onions and garlic and peppers.

PLUS-- a lot of ground turkey isnt any more lean than the leanest ground beef. I use turkey sausage a lot more than I use ground turkey.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

I don't mind reading your ramblings. :)

I believe there is not a one-size-fits-all approach to weight loss. For me, figuring out that I needed a lot of protein in my diet - and especially protein at breakfast - was a turning point in my eating habits. Hence the egg for breakfast.

If fats + carbs works for you, then do it. For me, it is fats with protein, and the fewer carbs the better. I love fruit, but fruit is essentially sugar, and I'm better off moderating my sugar intake.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Graywings-- I am actually very much like you. It is a scientific fact that fats and protein and acid help slow down the digestion and the rate at which carbs are broken down and added to your blood sugar level. Even following those guidelines and sticking to the low glycemic index carbs, I need to be very careful with them. Where we differ is that I seem to do ok with carbs at breakfast as long as I have a protein and/or fat too(or did when I was paying attention and eating all meals. I cant tell you the last time I had more than coffee for breakfast.) Where *I* have the most trouble is with carbs at night...too many carbs at night and I end up grazing or wanting to graze all night.

Carbs are my crutch and my easy way out when the day is hectic. A sandwich, bread and butter, bagels, pasta, crackers, chips--these things are quick and easy when I am on the run and they are my weakness.

I like fruit but I also eat it in moderation-- and again, I usually stick to the low GI fruits -- apples, grapefruit, berries. I have clementines now. I am not sure what the the GI value is but suspect they are little balls of sugar water LOL.

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

I know that eating small frequent meals is currently popular, but for me I find eating 3 small meals a day works best. I find that when I eat often, I am hungry often. I lose weight best when I don't snack. As far as I'm concerned small meals act as an appetizer - meaning that they increase my appetite.