SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
philipleung366

Professional Advice Need on A/C & Heating

philipleung366
14 years ago

I live in a two stories Cap Cod house with a basement. I area of each story is about 900 sq.ft. The house was built in the 50's. I have a pretty old central AC with the condensor outside the house and the air handler in the attic. There is two very old gas heating systems. The first one is a gas boiler for steam radiator in the 1st floor and steam pipes in the basement. The 2nd one is gas boiler running hot water for the 2nd floor baseboard heat.

My thinking to to replace the existing old central AC with a AC/heat pump so that I can have AC and heat supply to the ast and 2nd floor on the existing duct. In this case, there won't be any heat in the basement, which has no duct running to it. My existing old heating systeme will then be served as back up heat.

My questions are:

1. I live in NJ with cold winter with temp. in the 10's and 20's. Is the heat pump provide enough heat in my situation. If not, can I have my existing heating system as a backup if the temp. outside is too cold.

2. Is it a good idea to replace my central AC with the heat/pump in terms of energy bill saving?

3. Is the AC/heat pump save me a lot of money instead of replacing AC and the other two system down the road.

I have contractors to come and estimate on the AC replacement and it seems no bobady mention any thing on heat pump.

Based on the about situation, Is there any professional idea on what is the best to do on my AC and heating system in terms of money and energy saving?

Tks!

Comments (2)