SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

*weird* upside of hot flashes...

mahatmacat1
14 years ago

This might seem like TMI, but it's so strange I have to post. I've been pretty sick the last few days, finally got antibiotics a couple of days ago but it's not going away (viral?). It's an upper respiratory thing, and one of my symptoms is a completely stuffed nose like someone's holding it shut--I can't breathe through it at all.

So I've noticed the weirdest thing, and it works *every time*. For no reason, my nose will suddenly open up and the swelled sides of the nose pull back, like the parting of the Red Sea. I can suddenly breathe *perfectly*, and my ears open back up--the change is astounding.

Within 5 seconds of the opening-up (I've taken to counting out loud), I'll get a hot flash!! I can then breathe for several minutes just like a normal person. Gradually, though, the swelling will reassert itself as the hot flash abates. So long to breathing through my nose until the next flash...

Whatever chemical or physical action is causing the hot flash to happen also makes my irritated, swollen sinuses contract! It's completely bizarre. I haven't read anything about it online, happening to anyone else or documented in any way.

I've been taking phytoestrogen and such to stop the darn flashes, but at this point I spend a lot of my day saying "come on, hot flash, come on!" Anyone else have this happen?

Comments (6)