SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweeby

House getting 'too tight'?

sweeby
15 years ago

We're gradually doing a whole house renovation and have replaced almost all of the windows, roof, HVAC units, vent fans and insulation.

However, I'm afraid that we are fast reaching the point where the house may be "too tight" and we need to intentionally bring in more outside air. (Though we do go in and out a lot during the day, we haven't experienced any noticable air quality problems, and I do crack open the kitchen window when I use the vent hood to improve performance.)

Hubby is a professional remodeler and thoroughly competent DIY'er, but "too tight" houses simply didn't exist as a problem way back when he was learning the ropes, and we're not sure how to go about bringing in more air.

We're located in a hot and humid climate, and want a make-up air system that doesn't require a lot of manual effort on an ongoing basis, that doesn't kill our fabulous energy savings (>50% even with price increases), and that doesn't cost a mint to install.

Is there such a thing? And can anyone recommend a 'primer' to help explain how it all works?

Comments (5)