SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goodbyekitty_gw

Curious about our first quote

goodbyekitty
13 years ago

We have an old Carrior that needs to be replaced. I'm amazed that thing was 38 years old before it gave out. So now we're in the process of getting quotes.

We have a 2,222 sq ft house, long cold winters and short very hot summers. Our first quote is for a Rheem RPNL-042 Jaz. It's their Classic model at a 13 SEER and a 8.50 HSPF. 43,000 c.c & 42,500 h-c(I think that's what the handwriting says). We also added a Second Wind Air Purifier, not sure about the model #, for an extra $600. Tell me if thats crazy, but the whole quote is for $6,704.

I'm sure this will be a dramatic improvement in our heating & cooling, but I'm curious why we're steered away from say something like a 9 or a 10 HSPF, 14 or 15 SEER. Isn't the cost to heat and cool much better from a 13SEER/8.5HSPF to a higher end model?

He said also if we upgraded that far that we'd go from a 3.5 ton to a 4. And if we did that I'd be worried that the system would be a little too much for what the house needs. Thanks for any info, I'll be back with additional quotes.

Comments (2)