SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momofone23

Re-ducting - moving floor vents to ceilings?

momofone23
9 years ago

I'm under contract on a home that will close in about 3 weeks. It's a 2-story colonial with no basement, built on slab, 1970. This is a large development with about 2,000 homes all built around that time. I had no idea until the home inspection that the first floor ducting is comprised of a cement/asbestos mixture (Terasite).

I completely freaked out at the thought of this being in the ducts that will circulate are in the home. I later learned that the ducts are only a danger if the ducting cracks or breaks and could potentially release fibers. I spoke with many neighbors and no one has ever had a problem with it, however some did say that water has gotten in the ducting, which is not good.

I had an environmental lab come to do air-testing to ensure that there were no particles and thankfully it came back negative.

For a short-term fix, the rough edges at the top of the ducts could apparently be "sealed" with some type of sealant, but I would feel much more comfortable living there with a permanent fix.

The second floor ducts are fine as those are metal, so it's just the first floor. The second floor vents come out of ducting that runs across the ceiling of the first floor. So it has been suggested to completely seal off the first-floor vents (Tearsite ducts), use the ceiling ducting currently supplying the second floor for the first floor via ceiling vents, and then run new ducting in the attic to provide ceiling vents for the second floor.

So all of the vent would be changed from the floor to the ceiling. I spoke with one contractor who is coming next week for an estimate and supposedly has done re-ducting for homes in this area. I voiced my concern about the challenge of getting enough heat in the winter from ceiling vents, as we have pretty cold winters here. He said that he has installed dampers to help with air flow.

The house is a total of 2,000 sq. ft., so not that large. So bottom line from those who have experience with this, are there any other alternatives or recommendations to maximize the effectiveness of making this switch and to minimize potential problems down the line?

Comments (9)