SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
needsometips08

What would you do for this kitchen?

needsometips08
15 years ago

Hi, I am new here. I've been agonizing over what to do with my kitchen. It all started with the linolium floor. It has gouges all over it so needs replacement. While I am at it, I am strongly considering new countertops and will stain the cabinets if need be.

What we are going to do for sure:

- new flooring

- new lighting over island (and kitchen table if need be)

- knobs/pulls on cabinets

- new stainless steel oven and microwave (dishwasher is already SS - fridge will have to wait)

- a new full tile backsplash

Will the above things help? I know from watching all the real estate shows that my kitchen is outdated, but can't exactly nail down the specific whys? Can anyone pick it out? What could bring the look current? Am I on the right track? I am open to hearing any suggestion and feedback (good and bad!)

Here are pics of kitchen and adjoining family room for your frame of reference:

Can I add a travertine style full backsplash with these counter tiles? (they look more ceramic or porcelain-ish so I am thinking no?) If I just replace the countertop with new tiles that would match said backsplash would I just be "upgrading" to a 90s kitchen? I do love having tile. I can easily deal with grout.

Really, it's the floor and counter that are causing me so much angst. Each material has a con that I am not willing to live with. We have 2 young kids, and really LIVE in our house. Counters and floor frequently have water on them. Food and everything else imaginable on the countertop is frequent. Our house is grand central station for the whole neighborhood including all the neighborhood kids (and their parents). I clean constantly.

Surfaces I've eliminated:

- cement and linolium flooring

- solid surface countertops such as Corian

- stainless steel, butcher block, marble, soapstone

- unfortunately granite for a host of reasons (I love the look and topical brown is my fav)

Anyone know anything about Shirestone? Or recycled glass counters like Icestone?

My style, and my house, is traditional with maybe even a tinge of rustic/country.

What would you do to my kitchen?

Comments (21)