SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kendoo_gw

Gas water heater installation question

kendoo
9 years ago

Need to replace a leaking gas water heater. Lowes came out and refused to install saying it was too close to a moveable air source, meaning a clothes dryer. Here is the setup. This is in a townhouse that has a utility closet off the kitchen. In this closet are the water heater, stackable washer/dryer, and the furnace. There is a louvered vent in the outside wall and a grate in the floor (to a vented crawl space) for fresh air makeup. The water heater is probably 20" from the dryer. The current water heater was installed by sears maybe 11 years ago. Have the specs changed on these newer water heaters? There are probably 14 other units with the same floorplan as mine that also have the exact same setup. Safety is obviously #1 priority here. Lowes is suggesting I convert to electric which would require some costly electrical work to run a 220V line over. I'd just like to get some other opinions, I know I could probably get someone to install a new gas heater, I just want to make sure it will be safe. Thanks

Comments (20)