SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Selling or not selling a house.

palimpsest
9 years ago

I am directly or vicariously going through the process of selling houses right now.

My father is selling the house I grew up in.
A client is selling her father's house.
A client is trying to prepare his house for sale and getting a certain amount of contradictory advice from various contractors.

All of them are rather frustrated.
The inspection report for my father's house came back and he is annoyed at the timbre of the report, because he says it makes it sound like he has neglected the house:

An inch long crack on the internal part of a thermopane window (can't be felt on outer surfaces) was listed as "Broken Window". But he at least has a buyer, so far.

My client selling her father's house finally just cleaned everything out and dropped the price. But for some reason there was some kind of appraisal done that came back even lower than the dropped price. And some people in that family could probably use their portion of proceeds from the sale. You can barely talk to her about this whole situation.

My client selling to rent already has a bit of attention deficit so he doesn't know what to do. The house across the street burnt down recently and the lot will sell for almost as much as his house will sell for. He said it might be easier if his burnt down, too.

I looked at a house where the seller had gotten up from the table at a (previous attempt at) closing, and told the seller " I don't like you, so I don't want to sell you my house". My realtor was in a closing like this where the offer was over asking and the Seller still walked out.

My father told me last night that if they start nickel and diming him on line items from the inspection (but it's not about the money, its about the attitude), he won't sell them the house. He said he'd rather tear it down and only ever have someone who loved it live in it.

He's actually completely serious. The house isn't selling for an enormous price (below the capital gains cut off), he doesn't need the money, and if he ends up in nursing care the money will be gone immediately anyway. So it's a crazy idea in a lot of ways, but if the house was gone it would also be a complete, closed, circle.

Comments (16)