SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peace_rose_gw

Revealing my 60% done kitchen - also need a few tips

peace_rose
13 years ago

It's hard to believe it's been almost 2 years since I jumped on this forum and begged for help planning our kitchen/dining room addition. At that time EVERYTHING was a blank slate. One of my early posts was looking for feedback on whether to locate the kitchen on the north or south side of the addition! Although there are still a lot of finishing details to complete, my kitchen is up and running and I am THRILLED with how it functions. We've gone from a family of 5 with no dishwasher to a spacious place where everyone wants to gather.

View of the other side of the room where the dining room is:

Here's a layout of the space:

As for the materials used:

Wall Paint: BM Navajo White

Marvin Windows

Wilsonart Oiled Soapstone Laminate

Kohler smart divide cast iron sink (love it!)

Thermocast prep sink

Faucets from Lowes and Home Depot

Stove: 1954 O'Keefe & Merritt model 405

Schoolhouse Electric Lighting

Cabinets: 6 Square

Cherry Butcher Block Countertop on the island (Lumber Liquidators)

Oak Hardwood Floors

**White subway backsplash tiles yet to be installed

**Chrome nickel pulls yet to be installed on cabinetry

Now for where I could use some help. My former kitchen had so much color that I'm afraid I played it a little too safe/conservative with going for a white kitchen. I'm disappointed that the finishes we chose don't coordinate. The laminate is matte and looks dull to me and I swear it has a bluish/grey undertone. I'm afraid the brown walnut stain we used on the windows clashes with the counters AND the brown finish on the pendant lights. Our energy and budget is about maxed out, so what's done is done (for now). But I would appreciate any thoughts on how to decorate / tie everything together anyway. Btw, I had a dream one night in which I posted this, and y'all said "It looks nice, but it looks soooooo 2008." :)

The other thing I should mention is that pantry cabinets haven't been completed yet. (Custom built by DH). They will go on the wall where the temporary shelving is located (with the canned goods in the picture). They'll need to be no deeper than 15". The trash and recycle are also located over there, and we purchased a 12" deep wall base for the end of the run. If you have any feedback about how to make it look good I'd love to hear it.

I really have given thanks over and over for the feedback on this forum. I could not have done it without you!

Comments (29)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm