SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bmw_38_gw

New Heating System (hydronic vs. hot air)

bmw_38
13 years ago

We really want to replace our old oil fired boiler that is used to run the radiant (baseboard) heating in our 1,000sq ft. ranch, in PA. It was built in 1954 and the furnace could quite possibly be the original. We�ve considered a few options but it�s quite overwhelming and the couple contractors we spoke to were not much help. Side-note: we already moved our boiler tank hot water heater to an electric as there were many problems with it so we aren�t sure if we want to combine this system again or use it as we have it now (separate). A, just replace it with a newer natural gas boiler. B, replace with a tankless boiler that is suitable for hydronic heating. C, put a gas forced air furnace in (and A/C) at a later date.

If any of you experts out there can comment or answer any of my questions, it would be such a huge help! Thanks!!!!!!

A) Seems to be quite expensive from what I can find pricing on. Most are 80% and are up over $2500. Can�t expand to include a/c.

B) Smaller footprint. More efficient for same pricing.

C) Assuming a lot more work. Can run duct work ourselves, really just need person to hook up electric and gas to unit. Seem to run about $1k and some even under for the unit itself.

1. How much work to move from oil boiler to a or b? Is it as "easy" as swapping in the new for the old or will there need to be piping changes in the house?

2. What types of systems can be used with B? I�ve seen some like Noritz NH made specifically for it but some of their other models say that "recirculation compatable"? Same thing? One guy told us that those systems won�t last as long?

Comments (4)