SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
m2mom_gw

Was stuck on white kitchen, but now have serious doubts

m2mom
15 years ago

Hello fellow kitchen redoers,

DH and I are in the planning stages of a major reno of our midwest 1940s colonial, which will include a kitchen expansion and overhaul. I have been wearing out the shoe leather for a couple months looking at the different finishes available in the local retail outlets, as well as looking online.

For a long time I have been enchanted with the look of the white/cream Christopher Peacock kitchen. I spent so much time looking at creamy cabinets, white subway tiles with grey grout, soapstone and honed granite counters, and butcher block for the planned island. I was so sure that I was going to go for this look. Normally I am not at all the type to copycat or even care about what some froufrou designer is doing out there, but the whole look jives well with my tastes going towards the "simple elegance" look, if you will.

For the past couple of days, though, I am having serious doubts about the whole look. For one, the kitchen will be opened up partially to the family room, which currently has wood paneling which is painted a creamy white. Will the whole space look washed out?

I'm also wondering about resale. We do plan to stay for a while, although you can never really know what will happen to your family and job situation(s). We live in a very traditional area where all of the homes have stained wood cabinets. I wonder if others will also love the while/cream look.

The other thing is, I have heard some talk about while painted cabinetry being hard to maintain and keep clean. With a 5 and 2 yo we do have to think of that.

Any thoughts on the wisdom of a white/cream kitchen v. one using more traditional stained wood cabinets?

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville