SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
llcp93

Choices made (mostly) and now I am stuck

llcp93
9 years ago

We had a water leak behind a wall in August, that affected two bathrooms. Our selections are made but our cosmetic remodel is having us do a change to a pony wall, which has befuddled me and changed my original plan.
This is our tub area right now.

It is a cultured marble jetted tub that has not worked in several years and is 17 years old. It is leaving. In its place, we are putting in a free standing white claw foot tub. To do that, I am having to take the pony wall down about 18-22 inches to allow for the length of the tub. The glass shower enclosure will just go down further and sit atop the now lowered pony wall, and be placed more to the inside of the shower. I will gain 5 inches by doing this. The under mount sinks are also white.

My dilemma is that something is bothering me about just having a finished edge tile up the alcove wall and that is it. I did have a plan to put a listello all the way around at the top but never found the "one" before the need to lower the wall came into play.

I feel like the travertine tile, while the edges would be rounded, is not finished off and I want something pretty but not over powering. I thought of a 2x12 trav chair rail but it looked awkward and big on one wall, around the window of another, and then stopping. 4" listellos did the same thing or were way too overpowering- being a focal point instead of a soft accent.

So, looking around the web, I found a 2.5" border that is pretty and if I ordered the sheet as well, I could cut a 4" backsplash. I need a second set of eyes on this and envisioning how it will look. The stripes in the above photo show where the border will go in the alcove. (travertine under it)

This is my color palate:

The shower and alcove will be tiled in 12 x 24 Torreon Travertine laid brick style. The floor is 16x16 Trav with 3" dark emperador diamond accents.

The counter tops, window sill, top of lowered pony wall and threshold are San Luiz Granite (bottom 2 pieces)

The slab Trav goes on my curved corner bench in the shower and the pearl brick tile goes on the face of the bench.

The small Versailles is the floor.

This is the border I am thinking in the alcove - on the wall with the picture, the window wall and inside the window, and just under the San Luiz Granite cap on the lowered pony wall.

The sheet would be cut to be a 4" back splash (though the example photo shows a different mosaic) and both would be topped with a 1/2" dome rail.

My biggest fear is that putting the border, after spending the money on it, will look dumb because it does not go all the way around the alcove at the same height. And by using it as a back splash, I would be tying it in to the room. It would also tie in some of the dark emperador from the floor and the granite.

Thanks for your input. I have just become overwhelmed in doing two baths at the same time and don't want regrets.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio