SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goodeats_gw

Carrier Furnace Question

goodeats
16 years ago

Hi All

Forgive me, but I know NOTHING about furnaces, so I would really appreciate your advice. I live in San Francisco in a one story over garage 1100 square foot home. I am remodeling part of my garage to include an office and adding approximately 300 square feet to the living space. To do the remodel I have to replace my old beloved behemoth of a gravity fed furnace. :(

Our temperatures are pretty mild here, both Winter and Summer, rarely below 40 degrees or over 70, but I want a quiet and efficient furnace. My old furnace made no noise at all, and the heat was hot, so getting used to a blower blowing lukewarm air around is going to be difficult.

My contractor is suggesting a Carrier Base 80 58STA which he has in his own home. This looks like a good unit, but it's a base unit, so I am wondering if there is any point in paying a bit more and going for the Comfort 80 58DLA or Performance 80 58CTA models for improved adn quieter performance.

There is also the Infinity 80 58CVA. The Infinity has two heating levels, but has some sort of humidity thing I'm not sure I need.

Any help or recommendations would be very appreciated. Thank you!

melanie

Comment (1)