SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david_cary_gw

Will increasing duct size fix the noise?

david_cary
14 years ago

I have a zoned Carrier Infinity system. The master bedroom gets a bit loud and I'd like to fix it. The zone is the master suite and I really don't want the bathroom and closet as cold as the bedroom (a/c season) - these vents are damped down which has increased the noise in the bedroom.

The ducts passed a leakage test and I was going to foam them also so I am not terribly worried about leakage. From what I understand, the Infinity should keep pressures reasonable. The fan was set to the slowest option by the tech.

There are 6 inch flex ducts to the 2 4x10 vents. I'd like to know if the noise would likely be better with going to 8 or 9 inch ducts and keeping the 4x10's? Or do I need to increase the register size. Obviously doing both would be best but much easier to just change the duct size. The other option would be to add a register or two but the wife might give me grief with that option.

The system is 3 ton, 2 stage. The master zone is 750 sq feet or so with 6 registers total - probably all 6 inch. The noise is mostly fine on 1st stage - but with the other dampers partly closed, it is noisier than it should be. I am already considering a dumpzone of sorts to help keep the cycle running longer but I don't think that alone will make the noise satisfactory. The dumpzone would be to the open downstairs but I probably wouldn't do a big register or duct - maybe 8 inch with a 4x10. Again the WAF is an issue.

I guess the simple question is the noise usually the duct or the register mostly? I hate the idea of going from a 9 inch duct down to a 4x10 because of all the turbulence right at the register from the reducers. Is there a simple rule of thumb that matches duct size to register size?

Comments (7)