SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tncraft

Ventilation Qs - exterior distance, duct size, etc

tncraft
12 years ago

I didn't think about the total duct run we'll have in the house and how it should be considered when selecting the hood/blower/etc.

I believe we can go straight up from the hood. The approximate total duct run will be 14 ft. Does this mean I have to go with a powerful blower? How many cfm? Does this also mean we have to go with a remote blower because of the duct length?

We are going with a 36" induction cooktop, but will be configuring the kitchen to easily accomodate a gas rangetop (like the CC) in case I'm not totally happy with the induction and want to replace it with gas. So, we want the vent to also be able to handle a gas rangetop.

I was looking at the Kobe and Cavaliere; both has up to 1000 cfm and 8" duct. Would either of these okay considering how far the duct run needs to be? Do we need to go with a more powerful blower?

Another question, why use 8" or 10" duct? Is this based on the range hood's specification? So, if the Kobe hood says 8", I have to go with 8"? Or, can I go with 10"? Hope this is not a stupid question. LOL. Just wondering because out of the discussions I've read here, bigger seems better. ;)

Oh, one more question.... On the Kobe (and other hoods), they include heat lamps. Why would one need those heat lamps? Am I missing what they are used for? I'm thinking, they are used to keep food warm?? But we won't have a high shelf, and the food will be on the rangetop. So, I just don't see any use of it. Am I wrong? This is the only thing I don't like about the Kobe hoods.

Comments (5)