SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachelrachel_gw

Kitchen Finished! Last Tweaks Done (pics)

rachelrachel
17 years ago

After 7 ½ years in my 1949 starter home I couldnÂt take my one-wall kitchen any longer. It had one usable base cabinet with one silverware drawer! The 42" sink base was filled with dry rot and had two fake drawer fronts. The cabinet doors were warped and sagging on their hinges. My appliances were all on their last legs.

L-Shaped Kitchen

I figured out that I could create an L-shaped kitchen from my one-wall kitchen if I moved the doorway and cut an opening to recess the fridge into the laundry room/utility room. I canÂt tell you how many times I measured the floor and wall in the kitchen!

Refrigerator Wall

I designed the fridge wall to provide a needed home for the refrigerator, additional cabinets and a wonderful "landing" surface by the fridge. GC implemented this even better than planned by increasing the doorway width, telling me to get the base cabinets cut down to 21" and cutting the above refrigerator cabinet down to 18".

Laundry Room/Utility Room

I turned the Laundry/Utility room into a practical extension of the kitchen. Based on 2 magazine articles, I made a counter area above the front loaders for small appliances. I wanted the somewhat limited counter space in the kitchen as uncluttered as possible. Everything about this arrangement has to be moveable because of the plumbing and heating hub in this room.

Details

Kitchen Dimensions  11 x 11.5Â

Cabinets  Thomasville  Villa Maple Pearl

Wall Cabinets 30" in Kitchen, 36" in Laundry room.

Base cabinets for refrigerator wall cut to 21".

Over refrigerator cabinet cut to 18" by GC.

Counter  Angola Black Granite

Floor Tile  Laufen  Nordica Cinder

Backsplash  Bisazza Glass Tile (from Expo)  Olivio

Sink  Blanco

Faucet  Kohler

Garbage Disposal  Insinkerator 555

Stove  Whirlpool

Range Hood  Kenmore

Dishwasher  Whirlpool

Refrigerator  Amana

Washer  Kenmore

Dryer  Kenmore

Lighting  Home Depot  Hampton Bay

Hardware  Home Depot  Knob Hill

Restaurant Booth  www.restauranteq.com  Wedgewood vinyl  Style "Hot Rod Chevy"  Table top  Onyx Formica

Painted wood cabinet  Sherwin Williams  Rapture Blue and Cay

Kitchen Rugs  www.rugs-direct.com

Laundry Room Rug  Linens n Things

Wall Clock  www.metmuseum.org/store/ - Color Magic Wall Clock

Laundry Room Counter  Birch plywood painted black

Laundry Room Counter Legs  www.tablelegsonline.com  Custom cut stainless steel legs

Laundry Room Shelf  Ikea  legs replaced with Home Depot casters

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Photos

Comments (6)